The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Muffler Configuration question

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Icon5 Muffler Configuration question

For those of you who have spent time under the car and worked with exhausts/mufflers...

I'm gonna be getting a custom exhaust made, and having them put on a Dynomax VT muffler (http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt) If you look down to the configuration, the closest thing to stock is the offset/center style. Since the stock muffler is a center/center style, with regards to how much room is underneath, how much of a problem do you think the shop would have hooking up the offset/center style and hanging it... if any?

Or is it necessary for me to find a muffler that is going to be center/center?

I'm considering getting a Magnaflow 4" round muffler as a resonator and then put on the Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler. I think that might sound nice as well.
    Last edited by tr1kst4nce; 03-09-2011 at 03:21 PM

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

Its not too hard depending how big of a muffler u get. I believe stock is 19/21". Smaller will make it easier, but will also make it slightly louder

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

if you are using a competent muffler shop it should matter very liitle what you get..they can figure a way to put most anything on

so trikstance, did you ever get the exhaust? i wanna hear about it since i was considering the same option. do you know how much it would have cost for them to make it from scratch + a muffler?

Yeah, I got an oval muffler and a round muffler (to use as a resonator cuz I didn't want it to be obnoxiously loud), and a tip. Took it to a local meineke and they charged me $182 and some change from start to finish for time and for the 2.5" pipe to custom bend and install and weld in the resonator, muffler, and weld on the tip.

So... a great deal if you ask me. Much better deal than getting the full Magnaflow catback for the Eclipse for $700 and then having to extend it and have it installed.

I'm sure it would have been a little less if I didn't have the resonator and didn't have a tip they had to weld on.

pics!
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Let me add... I basically got the same muffler they used to make the muffler for the Eclipse catback by Magnaflow, same with the resonator.

you didnt use the Dynomax VT? reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by OverCorrupt View Post
    you didnt use the Dynomax VT? reasoning?
    The Magnaflow actually came out cheaper. I was able to find several listings online that had sound so that I could actually hear what the Magnaflow was going to sound like. So... there were no surprises. Where as with the Dynomax VT I wasn't able to find anything comparible to KNOW how it was going to come out sounding like I did with the Magnaflow. Also, there were mixed reviews about the valve on the VT and it rattling but those were all old reviews and I read that Dynomax may have already made adjustments to the design. The whole plan behind me getting the VT was to be a bit more stealthy unless at WOT. Which is why I got the resonator to put on also. The car is very mellow. Has a VERY nice rich and low sound when just cruising and a very classy sound at WOT without being loud and obnoxious like a ricer car. If it was the V6 I wouldn't have worried. But since it's a 4 cyl, I was worried that muffler wouldn't have been enough. So, the resonator actually ended up giving it a deeper tone, while not being as loud, but it's still got a decent volume, much better flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Its Reu View Post
    pics!
    I'll take a couple pics later today. I would have thought you'd be more interested in sound?

[stares . . . . ]

[pokes!]

Here is a dual exhaust example.....mine...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NICE!!! , I just brought one from WA , still on the flam'n train, havent even driven it yet nor seen one in the flesh