The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94 Carburated Galant stutters between 2k and 3k RPM, Tach goes crazy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30

94 Carburated Galant stutters between 2k and 3k RPM, Tach goes crazy

While I'm driving the car will stutter between 2k and 3k rpm. While it stutters the tachometer goes crazy but only in that range. It runs fine and the tach is operating normally when below 2k or above 3k.

Had the same problem with the previous carb and a lot of parts have been changed recently but the problem is slowly getting more noticeable. It feels more like an electrical problem than anything else.

In the last 3 months the parts changed have been;

Carb, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump and filter, starter, alternator, battery, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and timing belt.

Not all the parts were changed for this problem. The previous owner didnt take very good care of the car.

The problem has always been there but is slowly getting worse. Compression has also been done and no problem there

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by posceola; 03-13-2011 at 04:56 PM

it could be the iac going bad or the transmission.it could also be the crank sensor or the distributor going bad.are there any check engine lights on?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    is it in every gear that this problem occurs?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

No check engine lights. But the cap and rotor are looking a little burnt and were just replaced.

Same in every gear. When the cars stationary the problem cant be felt, only when driving, but the gauge is always the same. The stuttering is more noticeable when going uphill or when there is more strain on the engine. The gauge will jump up and down from 2k to about 6k quickly when the engine is between 2 and 3k rpm.
    Last edited by posceola; 03-13-2011 at 04:45 PM

timing may be off or a bad ground somewhere or a short as well. my car recently was misfiring from a short in my fog lights so id check for exposed wires or pinched wires
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by posceola View Post
    No check engine lights. But the cap and rotor are looking a little burnt and were just replaced.

Same in every gear. When the cars stationary the problem cant be felt, only when driving, but the gauge is always the same. The stuttering is more noticeable when going uphill or when there is more strain on the engine. The gauge will jump up and down from 2k to about 6k quickly when the engine is between 2 and 3k rpm.
    that doesnt sound to good that it struggles on hills,check your motor and transmission mounts for cracking.the transmissions are known to go on these cars thats why a lot of the guys convert to 5 speed manual transmissions.

Timings ok but a bad ground makes sense. I looked myself but I'm not so good with wiring. I'll have my mechanic check it out as soon as I get a chance.

Any other ideas?

Already a 5 speed. Motor and transmission mounts are good for now. Had to change the transmission mounts when I changed the clutch. I forgot to mention that the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing were done around 2 months ago. The rear mount was broken and the front was shot.

does it many any noises when it starts shuttering?

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    does it many any noises when it starts shuttering?
    No noise, just stuters like crazy.

id say a ground or short in something still especially cuz its 5 speed and all the new parts you put in it.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

IDK man, its a carb car. IDK if it requires any sensor output like the fuel injected engines.

Post some pics of he carb and distributor, the plug on the distributor.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

are you sure you have a carberator or is it a throttle body?

are you sure you have a carberator or is it a throttle body?
    Im sure its a carb. Im charging my camera, I'll have some pics posted in a few minutes.

The carb itself has a throttle bodies in it
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Camera finally charged. Heres all the pics.

wow i have never seen a carburated 7g galant before,is that the gdi engine?

wow i have never seen a carburated 7g galant before,is that the gdi engine?
    Unfortunately I'm not certain. All I know is that its the 4G64. Original carb is impossible to find since this model not supposed to come carburated in the US. The original carb died long ago. For now I had to use a carb from a hyundai until i can upgrade to something better.

Quote Originally Posted by posceola View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not certain. All I know is that its the 4G64. Original carb is impossible to find since this model not supposed to come carburated in the US. The original carb died long ago. For now I had to use a carb from a hyundai until i can upgrade to something better.
    oh it looks like a vacuum line is missing on the carburator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast