The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Metering/ Proportioning Valve tuturial

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

Metering/ Proportioning Valve tuturial

I did my disc swap today and also changed my proportioning valve. The Mitsubishi Part Number is MB699551. This fits an 8G with a 3.0 V6 w/o ABS.

Tools needed:
    10mm line wrench
    12mm socket and ratchet
    PB Blaster

The valve is located on the right firewall, behind the alternator on an I4

Spray all connections with PB this will help ease the loosening and help prevent damage to your brake lines.

Using the line wrench disconnect all six lines from the valve body. Make sure you leave the valve connected to the firewall. Again this reduces stress on the other brake lines.

After all six lines are disconnected you can remove the valve body from the firewall.

Put your replacement valve on the firewall and hand tighten the bolt fastening it to the firewall. You want to leave a little bit of motion in the valve body till the lines are all reconnected to help prevent the threads from stripping. Once you get the threads on all six lines started (make sure they are installed in the same location) you can tighten the fastening bolt the rest of the way. After the body is secure you can finish tightening your lines.

After you install the valve you must bleed the brake system (ALL FOUR WHEELS) to ensure proper performance of the braking system.

I hope this helps any of you who are undertaking this task. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me.

THIS IS INTENDED AS A TUTURIAL ONLY. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU MAY CAUSE TO YOUR VEHICLE. DO NOT ATTEMPT WITHOUT THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE TO COMPLETE.
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN

Thank you!!
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Usefull guide :) Gonna share this with my norwegian fellas :)

I contemplated on wether or not there was really going to be a difference between the two p.v.'s and upon just completing this swap I can say there definately is, read this thread a couple times over the past year and since then ordered the part and for anyone who was wondering what a side by side pic looked like....here you go... As u can tell the oulets on the v-6 (right)are definately bigger then the v-4(left)

4g64----------------------------------------------------------6g72
    Can you size down your sig please? Thanks, Admin :)

I didn't even think about looking at the physical difference on them. I just knew that I would be chewing through front brakes if I didn't change the valve when I swapped the drums out.
    T.I. 04 BUILD YOUR OWN

Good job, thanks. The valve looks like it would be a perfect fit on a 7g as well. Can mods please place there also?

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    Good job, thanks. The valve looks like it would be a perfect fit on a 7g as well. Can mods please place there also?
    It will as I have taken a prop valve off a 1g, and 2g eclipse along with a 3g and they are all the same

I pulled mine off of a 1g 3000GT non turbo much different

For my 7g
    Shout out to anyone that still uses hand tools for their work
    With elbow grease for power and determination for a battery

Maybe your broke maybe your old school

Me I'm a lil of both

Also if you have brembos you either want to stay stock or get an evo prop valve

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    the 8G ones don't work for ours. you need to rebend the lines to use it. just like you have too for the 2G one

i'm installing a 1G 4g63 N/A w/o abs and rear disk proportioning valve in the next week. it is a direct swap.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

8g prop valves are exactly the same as 7g and 1g bro. No bending required.

What i have seen is that 2G have two style prop valves. One is the same as 7g/8g style and its usually seen on GST and GSX and the second type is the same as on 3000gt and I find it mostly on 2g GS with rear discs.

ok I guess pics would do better:

1. 2g GS and 3000gt (non ABS)

2. 1g/2g/3g/Stratus w/o ABS fits both 7g and 8g

and All model ABS valve just for reference

Last edited by mko; 11-17-2011 at 06:14 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    8g prop valves are exactly the same as 7g and 1g bro. No bending required.

What i have seen is that 2G have two style prop valves. One is the same as 7g/8g style and its usually seen on GST and GSX and the second type is the same as on 3000gt and I find it mostly on 2g GS with rear discs.

ok I guess pics would do better:

1. 2g GS and 3000gt (non ABS)

2. 1g/2g/3g/Stratus w/o ABS fits both 7g and 8g

and All model ABS valve just for reference

thats why. thanks for clearing it up. i forgot that the abs have the front 2 capped off

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

If you use one off of a 3000gt don't have to bend the lines too much

Just cut off the excess

Reuse the fittings

Reflare the lines

Me I'm a lil of both

I tried removing my brake lines to the proportioning valve today. No luck. How did you guys manage to get leverage down there?

are you using crow foot wrenches for the lines? you can get a lot lore leverage without worrying about stripping the fitting.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    Also if you have brembos you either want to stay stock or get an evo prop valve
    Can anybody verify this?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

I wouldn't think you would need an EVO 8 pv but I would suggest at least a rear disk pv from a n/t 3000gt that's what I have not disc swapped yet but from what I understand the rear drum prop valves bias pressure more forward where the rear disc ones split it more evenly

Me I'm a lil of both

I understand that, I was curious why he said if we have brembo s we don't need a pv one from a v6

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Let me try to find the post about it give me a few

Quote Originally Posted by master_visionary View Post
    I wouldn't think you would need an EVO 8 pv but I would suggest at least a rear disk pv from a n/t 3000gt that's what I have not disc swapped yet but from what I understand the rear drum prop valves bias pressure more forward where the rear disc ones split it more evenly
    Also remeber that that car is differently weight biased than a 7g.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast