The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car Problem

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Car Problem

Okay so I tried to search and see if I could find any info on a problem I'm having. Tonight as I was driving my car home the engine started revving up as if I had put the car in neutral. I had no power going to the wheels even though I was in drive. I pulled into the closest driveway I could find. I tried reverse and got the same thing. Engine revving up but nothing to the wheels. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem?

auto or manual? that sounds like your transmission, i had the same a few years ago. and 7g transsmisions suck bad.

Auto. I replaced the transmission last fall with one that has 90,xxx miles on it.

they are very bad i replaced mine like 25k ago and its saying goodbye already mine when shifts from 2 to 3rd revs go up like crazy and then 3rd engages and keeps running

The auto trans is the Achilles heel of the 7g. I have had three 7g with auto trans and the auto trans has died on all three of them although one made it to 200K before it quit. If you love your 7g, do a 5 speed swap. More dependable although I did have a 5 speed that self destructed but that is generally a rare thing to happen. The 5 speed is also more fun to drive. FYI: the OEM shifter feels too long when shifting so many folks also swap the stock shifter for a short throw shifter
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

I've been looking around and from what I'm reading it sounds more like the torque converter is the problem. I just tried to move to car and it still did the same thing. You put into gear and all it does is rev up the engine. I have to try and find a way to move the car. Its currently sitting in someone's driveway, because of where it stopped moving.

Experienced TGC Member
    Does it have fluid?

Fluid is fine. I got the car to the garage. He's going to take a look at this afternoon. My neighbor who towed me up there checked the tranny fluid quick and said that is okay. So we will go from there. I will keep you updated with what my garage has to say.

Sounds like the gearbox/transmission

i remember once i was driving on a main road and was abit of a downhill and was revving it and nothing only high rev sounds but car is basically rolling, managed to get the car on a side street, try'd all gears nothing, car started fine and rev'd fine but gearbox was gone .

Okay so I'm about 90% sure its my torque converter. Let me give you a bit of the background. When I had my transmission replaced last fall the guy I paid to do it was an idiot. He thought it was okay to weld my flex plate and dust shield. This meant he welded near the torque converter. I've been told that no only was welded those two parts moronic, but he may have done some damage to my torque converter.
    Okay so on my drive home the other night. I was driving along fine. The car was shifting fine. All of a sudden I stepped on the gas and it was like I had accidentally put the car in neutral. When I got the car stopped I put the car in park. At that point in time it did not make any strange noises or anything. Now when I put the car into any gear it just revs the engine like it would if the car was in neutral, but the car doesn't move at all.
    I've been told its likely my torque converter. My mechanic is taking out the transmission fluid oil pan today and checking the filter just to make sure thats not clogged and there's no metal shavings in the fluid. After that the beginning of next week he is going to replace the torque converter.