The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: blown up engine?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 72

blown up engine?

Hey guys as some may know I have a 2001 gallant 2.4l automatic and I have a problem my car broke down.... D: I was driving one of my friends and he was an idiot and he shifted my car to low and then back drive while I was going 30-35ish mph suddenly my car makes a big boom the rpms pass 6500 and car shuts off. I try starting it but it wont...the start up doesn't even sound the same and only the belt goes as I try to start it. Any ideas thanks? I know its bad but how bad?

Ouch. Broken t belt?

Sounds like it's trying to start, but faster than usual?

Something Definitely broke.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

wait do you have a manual transmission?

I believe auto

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

Yes its auto and what's the t belt? Timing belt? Is that the large belt on the side of the engine? Cause its still there....if its the t belt is it expensive to fix?

if your timing belt snapped or slipped while you were driving then your car is now worth less than the repair will cost.

It'll be more than 2k to fix?

Quote Originally Posted by NewGalantKid View Post
    It'll be more than 2k to fix?
    easily.

if your timing belt snapped or slipped while you were driving, the timing belt itself will be the cheapest part of the repair; since our engines are interference type, once the timing belt goes, the valves and pistons can collide and cause thousands of dollars in damage.

of course this may not be ur timing belt that went bad.

the reason i was asking if u had a manual transmission is that our automatic transmissions on the USDM 8G are INVECS meaning they are computer controlled, so even if your friend shifted you down to L, the computer would not allow the transmission to go lower than 2nd gear which would put u around 5000rpm at 35mph... that's nowhere near 6500rpm. your transmission would not shift all the way to 1st gear at that speed since the computer would not allow it no matter what the gear lever position was. even if your friend shifted the other direction to N, the rev limiter would keep your car from overevving.
    Last edited by Reelax; 03-17-2011 at 07:33 PM

So mostly likely I'm screwed? Time to find a new car? :/ and any easy way to find that out without a mechanic?

So mostly likely I'm screwed? Time to find a new car? :/ and any easy way to find that out without a mechanic?
    time to find new friends too.

again we don't know for sure if it is your timing belt, u didn't give us enough information.

is the check engine light on?

Aww...and define on lol the car doesn't start and whenever the car doesnt start almost all of the lights turn on you know what I mean?

Like the battery brake check engine door open and seat belt turn on

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    easily.

if your timing belt snapped or slipped while you were driving, the timing belt itself will be the cheapest part of the repair; since our engines are interference type, once the timing belt goes, the valves and pistons can collide and cause thousands of dollars in damage.

of course this may not be ur timing belt that went bad.

the reason i was asking if u had a manual transmission is that our automatic transmissions on the USDM 8G are INVECS meaning they are computer controlled, so even if your friend shifted you down to L, the computer would not allow the transmission to go lower than 2nd gear which would put u around 5000rpm at 35mph... that's nowhere near 6500rpm. your transmission would not shift all the way to 1st gear at that speed since the computer would not allow it no matter what the gear lever position was. even if your friend shifted the other direction to N, the rev limiter would keep your car from overevving.
    That's what I thought...but I wasn't sure cause it all happend at like the same time so I assumed lol
    Last edited by Reelax; 03-17-2011 at 07:33 PM

i would pull the timing cover and check the timing belt first,but maybe your computer went if the timing belt is good.the car cranks but wont start right?

Where's the timing cover? And it doesn't crank like normal it sounds more metallic and faster

Where's the timing cover? And it doesn't crank like normal it sounds more metallic and faster
    do you have a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder?the timing cover is on the passenger side if you have a 4 cylinder.that doesnt sound to good.

4cylinder and is it on the side of the engine next to and above the main belt with a plastic cover?

if your looking at the engine its by your radiator overflow, you will see a motor mount attached to the engine, there is a black abs cover, thats your timing belt cover, just take off the top cover to see if the belt broke.... also if it makes a metallic sound while cranking, you either bent your valves, have no compression, and are just making things worse if you continue to crank the motor if you are, i would stop, I hope you arent..

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

its on the passenger side underneath the cover on the side of the head.. but from the sounds of that kind of cranking you prolly did blow the belt. which honestly if you know you way around a car could be an easy fix but if you don't it'll cost you mechanics get the big bucks $$$ lol but gl with it!
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

beat me by 1 minute..............damnit
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes