The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: blown up engine?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 72
    Ahh crap I'm going to miss my gallant :/ so if I have no compression it something is bent...I'm screwed?

all depends but if the belt broke id say you more then most likely bent a valve at the bare minimum....and bent valves are no good you can pay to get them replaced or get a whole new head if you messed up a piston i prolly wouldn't even bother honestly.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

sounds almost like the engine self destructed... DAMN

EDIT: oops, didn't see the second page.
    Last edited by DTP; 03-17-2011 at 10:02 PM
    -Andrew

I'm going to check the belt after school today. Can it be anything else if the belt is fine?

Quote Originally Posted by NewGalantKid View Post
    ... Can it be anything else if the belt is fine?
    yes.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Maybe get a video of you trying to crank the motor...it sounds like the belt snapped. You should remove the head and oil pan to see if anything inside broke off inside. If I was you I would do this to try to determine what happened before you take it to a mechanic or it could be something you can fix with out spending an arm and a leg.

But if timing went off and valves and pistons are done...Dude thats all up to you want you want to do. To rebuild the engine, not worth it. Either buy a used engine off eBay or somewhere that works or buy a new car. Ooooo yeah while you at it, make our friend pay for the damage and find a new one.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Well I looked at the belt its fine when its tries to crank the main belt and timing belt spin. The engine itself isn't really...I think it seized. Maybe the safety not to shift down failed too much engine power and kaput? I'll try to get a video tomorrow

I can't get to the oil pan my car is stuck at my other friends house he was closest when it broke down we had to push for 2 miles -__- so there's only so much I can do

you cant jack the car up and look under her skirt?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

I can but isn't looking at the oil pan much more than looking under the car? Like taking it out and what not? Besides I've never done it before either

just a couple bolts, ok more than that, and you need a gasket if nothing it wrong or you don't find a piston down in the oil pan (that happened to a member on here lol) Personally I would spend twenty bucks on a gasket, and take off the pan and inspect it, whats the worst thing that could happen? you have to rebuild the motor, or you just use the gasket to put the oil pan back on, if nothing is wrong.

And by gasket you mean what? Sorry I'm new to this I really want to learn though...thank you

Oh and if I take off the engine cover/head whatever you call it what should I see?

And by gasket you mean what? Sorry I'm new to this I really want to learn though...thank you
    Anytime with fluids in a engine, you need a gasket to "seal" between the 2 metal surfaces, so it doesn't leak. I believe the oil pan is a cork one(idk I haven't taken it off on the g yet) your stock head gasket is a triple metal gasket, use to seal pressure from the compression stroke on the engine

Oh and if I take off the engine cover/head whatever you call it what should I see?
    if you take off the cylinder head, you should see pistons on the block side, and valves on the head side, if nothing is missing, or "hiding" in the oil pan lol. I suggest you get a Haynes manual, it makes things alot easier, step by step instructions, and torque specs and torque patterns.

Why buy another gasket can't you reuse the one you took out?

I haven't massed with the g gasekt, so Idk for sure if its cork or not, but usually the cork ones fall apart when they are that old, also they are flattened when you tighten down, an oil leak its not something to mess with if the gasket is like 20 bucks IMO

Just my opinion, and I am new to Galants but have turned wrenches myself as a fairly competent backyard mechanic for 25 years now. I think you are in over your head with this. Not knockin on you but if you dont know what a gasket is I am just guessing just about the rest of the advice you get here or any any net forum is really going to be over your head. Dont take it personally, just appears to be what it is.

Do you have a friend, relative or someone who knows a little more then the basic rudimentary workings of a car that can take a good look at it? Where are you located? Maybe a forum member is fairly close and kind enough to take a glance.

And just to be certain, you do understand the "timing belt" is not visible w/o removing its cover? There are 2 belts that are visible, but they are not the "timing belt". For further clarification as you are looking at the motor, on the right side of the top is a 2.4L 16 valve designation, this is the driver side. On the left, passenger side you see the oil fill cap. Now about 4" to the left of the oil filler cap is a black plastic cover, its on the end of the motor between the 2 visible belts and the oil cap. That cover must be removed to actually get a visual on the timing belt. I just want to be sure that yes, you have seen it and yes it looks fine and is actually spinning.

Just a wild shot, but from what very little anyone here actually knows about your specific car with what you have provided, it really sounds like a snapped timing belt with the metallic clanking sound you have described while trying to start it. I hope I am wrong.

You need to verify this first, that the timing belt is the correct belt you have inspected. If you havent really inspected it, stop trying to start the car until you have. If the belt is snapped you are really just doing yet further damage to the car every time you do try and start it. That belt keeps metal parts from knocking against each other inside the motor.

And just to be honest, if it is a snapped timing belt, your car is pretty much toast at this point.

Sorry to maybe come off as harsh here, and I know I am new to this forum, but that is my honest spin on it.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Noooooo do not re-use the gasket, you will need a new one when taking off the oil pan if you do not want oil spilling out. Taking the oil pan is very easy and the best way to see what’s wrong with the motor if any broke or not. Same thing with taking off the cylinder head. You will be able to see if the pistons are ok along with the valves and making sure nothing is damaged. In order to get the head off make sure you take off the timing belt off by loosening the tentioner. In order to get o that just take off the timing over with a few bolts here and there. If you are going to do this, make sure you label where everything goes. But if you do know someone that can help, I would ask him or her or just get it taken to a close mechanic. Which is what I would prob recommend for you since you have no idea what a gasket is...no offence.

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Just my opinion, and I am new to Galants but have turned wrenches myself as a fairly competent backyard mechanic for 25 years now. I think you are in over your head with this. Not knockin on you but if you dont know what a gasket is I am just guessing just about the rest of the advice you get here or any any net forum is really going to be over your head. Dont take it personally, just appears to be what it is.

Do you have a friend, relative or someone who knows a little more then the basic rudimentary workings of a car that can take a good look at it? Where are you located? Maybe a forum member is fairly close and kind enough to take a glance.

And just to be certain, you do understand the "timing belt" is not visible w/o removing its cover? There are 2 belts that are visible, but they are not the "timing belt". For further clarification as you are looking at the motor, on the right side of the top is a 2.4L 16 valve designation, this is the driver side. On the left, passenger side you see the oil fill cap. Now about 4" to the left of the oil filler cap is a black plastic cover, its on the end of the motor between the 2 visible belts and the oil cap. That cover must be removed to actually get a visual on the timing belt. I just want to be sure that yes, you have seen it and yes it looks fine and is actually spinning.

Just a wild shot, but from what very little anyone here actually knows about your specific car with what you have provided, it really sounds like a snapped timing belt with the metallic clanking sound you have described while trying to start it. I hope I am wrong.

You need to verify this first, that the timing belt is the correct belt you have inspected. If you havent really inspected it, stop trying to start the car until you have. If the belt is snapped you are really just doing yet further damage to the car every time you do try and start it. That belt keeps metal parts from knocking against each other inside the motor.

And just to be honest, if it is a snapped timing belt, your car is pretty much toast at this point.

Sorry to maybe come off as harsh here, and I know I am new to this forum, but that is my honest spin on it.
    Yea I know I removed the plastic cover its a thick black belt its intact and fine.....the belt only spins while trying to start the car seeing as it doesn't run....what information do you guys need? Cause I can give you more I just don't know what.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast