The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: blown up engine?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 72
    W/O seeing the car in person, a good video would go a long way. I am leaning towards a timing issue, when your friend slammed the shifter he may have knocked it out of timing. But the metal on metal sound you have described just doesnt sound good. Its possible the belt slipped a notch or two when the rpm's had a sudden shift from 1500 to 6500.

A video of start up (or attempt) and timing belt what else?

Thats it for now, with good audio so we can maybe pinpoint what is knocking.

I really think you are in need of someone who can properly look at the car. It can literally be one of a thousand things, and taking stabs on the net at it is not really a good way to try and explain it all to a relative newcomer in the mechanical thing of things here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RM7vk5xrRh8

That is what it sounds like ill try to get the other one with the coming belt spinning soon YouTube won't let me upload it -__-

It has to be on the motor.

What has to be on the motor the video?

The one in the engine is slowly uploading now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_mM6_J4L5oE

here is the one on the engine and timing belt I have some photos of the head removed that ill upload later..

Is there oil in the motor! Man that sounds like it has no oil.

The oil is past the max line. I check oil every three days

My dad overfilled it..but not by much

You need a mechanic now, it sounds like you have some major scoring going on inside that motor.

It almost sounds like the starter is not disengaging from the flywheel, but I dont see any way that with what happened that that is actually what is going on.

I think just by from what I can see so far, which the video is great, you have some major piston or piston ring damage.

it doesnt look to good i would have the compression checked out on it.when that happened did the car stall out?

Well Idk I asked a friend who knows quite a bit about cars...and he said the safety that would prevent it from shifting to low gear at higher speeds/rpms probably failed or didn't engage causing the engine to produce or attempt to produce more power that it could handle and it just died and ended

yyea it stalled it just shut off and I pushed it into neutral and when I tried starting it that's what i heard

get the compression checked and see what the results are,and try and figure it out from there.

Can I check it myself or do I need a mechanic? Cause my dad said he might junk the car. But I said if he's planning to he could buy me a car and ill rebuild the galant by myself slowly.

Check the crank sensor being shot and the sensing blade along with it. That sound of metal is the sensing blade being spun and hitting around the oil pump housing. Another clue for that is that you have no rpm reading when cranking the car.

or could be something more serious.

Drain the oil and see if there are metal shavings in it. You do that by simply dipping your fingers and rubbing them in the oil.
    Last edited by mko; 03-19-2011 at 09:46 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I'm assuming at this point all of that is still bad and harmed the motor pretty badly

Quote Originally Posted by NewGalantKid View Post
    Can I check it myself or do I need a mechanic? Cause my dad said he might junk the car. But I said if he's planning to he could buy me a car and ill rebuild the galant by myself slowly.
    you can check it yourself you just need a compression gauge and someone to crank the car over while you are watching the gauge

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast