The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: V6 running poorly / dying

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

V6 running poorly / dying

2002 V6 with 105k miles

Recently my galant has started idling very poorly. Sometimes on initial start-up or sometimes after warm-up, it will stumble every couple seconds at idle and eventually dip down to about 500 rpm while shaking and wanting to die. It has died a couple of times while running in my driveway. It's harder to notice, but it also has this "stumble" at any rpm. So far all I've done is change the plugs/wires and clean the mafs. I also found a small hole in my intake tubing which I repaired, and a broken vac line on top of the tb which I repaired.

The thing that I find strange is that it is throwing no codes. The SES light was not lit but I scanned it anyway and came up with nothing. All of the other probable causes I can think of should throw a code.
    I took a piece of newspaper and placed it against the tailpipe while running and sucked it in and out very quickly. I hope this does not point to a burnt exhaust valve since I have no experience with that kind of work.

Thanks in advance for any help - you guys are always very helpful

NEW INFO:
    Just noticed that with the A/C switched on, when the fans engage it bumps up to about 1200 rpm and seems to run smoothly. When the fans shut off, idle dips down to 800 and runs rough. If i simply press the gas to achieve 1200 rpm, it runs rough. Now when I perform the tailpipe paper test, the paper just flutters and isn't sucked in at all.
    A faulty or stuck EGR should throw a code right?
    Last edited by anticon; 03-19-2011 at 02:02 PM

Just tested the tps and the resistance changed smoothly as I opened and closed the tb.
    IAC? How can I test that if that sounds plausible?

Experienced TGC Member
    Well shit...another CO member coming out of the woods!

Have you checked out the cap and rotor on the distributor by chance?

What did you use to clean the MAF?

If you need some hep shoot me an email and I would be more than willing to try and meet up with you and help, I am just down in Arvada.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by anticon View Post
    Just tested the tps and the resistance changed smoothly as I opened and closed the tb.
    IAC? How can I test that if that sounds plausible?
    I'll shoot you a pm with specifics

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

http://db.tt/RheVexM

It's a good link.

-Andrew

clean throttle body if u haven't already. sometimes it's something that simple.

Thanks a lot for all the quick help! I reset the ecu again (i think) and it's been running super smooth so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again

I'v had the exact same issues for some time now. Strange thing is, it will do exactly what yours is doing a few times one day...then run perfectly fine for 2-3 weeks. then out of no where it will act up again a few times, then run normal again.

I'v done just about everything you have done and it still happens every so often.

i got same problem which you guys are describing..but i'm not mechanic..so i would be needing a tutorial how to do it..my car is kind of lazy,,it used to be fast before,but does any one know what is the normal idle rpm..now i'm running from a 609 to 734 rpm..is that mean that my car is lazy because its low idle rpm..is that range is not normal can you tell me what steps i could take to make the car not be lazy,

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    600 is too low for idle RPM. it should be near 700-800 once warmed up.

im having similar issue i changed my battery last year then started idle issues.turn on lights and fan and sometimes will idle down then catch itself.But last month got oil change and said battery test said was drained and need new one.They warantyed it and was running good then started the idle problem again.Got battery test with altenator and etc at auto zone.Said could be wireing issue.

ok now i did replace cd player with alpine maybe 2 yrs ago or 3 i think.I noticed other posts said clean maf sensor but would that have anything to do with battery drain issue?