The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1995 Galant crank pulley...

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    Blastek

1995 Galant crank pulley...

Hey, new here. I have a '95 Galant ES auto with 95k miles... Last week the A/C clutch failed so I brought it to a garage who replaced the clutch/compressor/etc. No less than 5 miles away the car started to make a slight squeel/scratching noise on acceleration below 1.5k rpms. (not a belt slipping sound)

Anyway, the garage says that the crank pulley needs to be replaced as it was damaged when the A/C clutch failed. They want $265 for that on top of the $800 I've already had to pay for the A/C fix... Does this sound reasonable? I really don't want to get ripped again. :evil:

thanks.

the crank pulley is a common failure.

the A/C didnt cause it to happen, it just happened on its own.

Blastek
    thanks, does $265 sound right?

IllestGalant
    if it includes labor, be thankful you weren't coming into my shop cause I would have hit ya for double that

Kain
    $265 for a crank pully sounds kinda high....But on the Galant does the T-belt hafta be removed? If so than it's right.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kain)</div><div class='quotemain'>$265 for a crank pully sounds kinda high....But on the Galant does the T-belt hafta be removed? If so than it's right.</div>
    no. the pulley is probably 150 bucks, and an hour labor to install it, plus tax and incidentals..

Kain
    Man, that's one thing I miss about working on American cars....crazy cheap parts. I think the most expensive crank pully I ever ordered was $50 or so.

Sleeper Style
    mine just went as well..and here is the problem you might run into....most places claim that they can only get the pulley from a crank shaft kit which is upping the price to about 175+. so then factor in labor...and yea its about right. I don't think the timing chain has to be removed. but here's a tip if you have any mechanical abilities what-so-ever: Buy a Chilton. Its basically the bible of repair guides in my opinion. It will save you a tom of money on Labor charges that you can easily do yourself with a buddy and a six pack.

chiltons manuals are about as helpful as an extra left foot.

If you REALLY want information, you need the factory manual.

Seriously... chiltons makes crapola.

Sleeper Style
    never had a problem with the chilton....plus i just picked it up one day out of the blue. found it useful for simple and quick references. I am sure the factory one is better but i wasn't able to obtain one and i don't know that i neccessarily need one now