The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Accidenlty put 5 quarts into 4 Cylinder 2.4L Mivec..it OK??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Accidenlty put 5 quarts into 4 Cylinder 2.4L Mivec..it OK??

Just did an oil change the other day and i accidentally put 5 quarts (type 5w-20) of oil, after reading online i realized i only needed 4.3 to 4.5 quarts on a Mitsubishi Galant 2.4l Mivec engine. i have heard that too much oil is bad for engine...Will i be ok??

Youre ok, you would need to put 7-8 qrts to screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Bad information, red nuggets.

You never want to overfill the engine with oil. You need to drain half a quart (at least) and recheck the oil level immediately.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

if you didnt fill the filter with oil then you may be ok, check your oil first then drain a little if needed.

Look at what you did to my shit P.Mafia!!!

Look at what you did to my shit P.Mafia!!!

I got this from an article,

Dangers of Overfilling

While it may not seem like a big deal to overfill the oil in your car, it can cause major malfunctions and potentially cost you thousands of dollars.
    When too much engine oil fills the crankshaft in your car, the oil becomes aerated and is whipped into foam. This is caused by the high rotation of the crankshaft. Foamy oil cannot lubricate your car well, and in many cases it will cause oil flow to halt completely, overheating your oil and causing loss of oil pressure. The engine then becomes starved for lubrication and may potentially lock up.

How to Drain Excess Oil

If you have too much engine oil in your car, you must drain it from beneath the car. With a socket wrench and a plastic oil pan in hand, crawl beneath your car and locate the oil plug. This will be a relatively large bolt at the bottom of the car's oil pan. Reference your car's maintenance manual if you have problems locating the plug.
    Place the plastic oil pan beneath the oil plug. With the socket wrench, loosen the oil plug until oil begins to trickle out. Continue to loosen the oil plug as much as you think necessary to drain excess oil. However, be careful not to loosen the oil plug too much, as it will result in a flood of oil.
    Continue to check the oil dipstick until the oil level is even with the full mark.
    Last edited by Joshua42007; 03-24-2011 at 03:26 PM

^^^ CORRECT, but .5 qrt will not cause >>>
    While it may not seem like a big deal to overfill the oil in your car, it can cause major malfunctions and potentially cost you thousands of dollars.
    When too much engine oil fills the crankshaft in your car, the oil becomes aerated and is whipped into foam. This is caused by the high rotation of the crankshaft. Foamy oil cannot lubricate your car well, and in many cases it will cause oil flow to halt completely, overheating your oil and causing loss of oil pressure. The engine then becomes starved for lubrication and may potentially lock up.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 03-24-2011 at 05:30 PM

like stated above..if you put no oil on the filter you will be fine..even if you did you will be fine.. .5 quarts will do nothing to your engine, especialy one that takes 4.3-4.5 quarts every change. if you said you put 2 extra quarts then i would say drain some.
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

not Thank you Prophet... So earlier I missed an LOL and got facepalmed. I know 6-7 quarts in a 2.4 is overkill. But I'm glad someone saw the humor in the replay.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 03-24-2011 at 11:07 PM Reason: Mis Typed My info, I had it in my head but didn't get it out right.

There's usually tolerances built in for compensate for that... I don't know what they are for our engines.... Sure... .5Q might not cause harmful damage.... but if that 1% still remains I'd take the 10 minutes to drain it...save you a blown seal or worse a internal component that would cost a lot of money to replace...

Like I said, 10 minutes of your time for piece of mind goes a long way in my books. Choice is yours... Chances are very good it won't do anything though.

-M

Thank you Prophet... So earlier I missed an LOL and got facepalmed. I know there is no way 6-7 quarts in a 2.4 is overkill. But I'm glad someone saw the humor in the replay.
    6-7 quarts in a 2.4 is NOT an overkill?

I rarely do this, but I want to quote your PM to me.

I was just trying to prove a point that half a quart isn't gonna kill the guy..... so I stretched the truth a little....my bad man!
    You don't have to prove a point.

You NEVER need to stretch the truth, especially when it comes to someone's car. Overfilling an engine with oil can potentially cause serious damage. Your bad? Yes, you make a very bad mistake.

Its simple. Either post information that you know is correct, don't post, or say that you think you know but aren't sure and wait for others to post correct information.

The next piece of information you give could ruin someone's car. You don't want that, and neither do I.

Quote Originally Posted by monnewbie3 View Post
    Sure... .5Q might not cause harmful damage.... but if that 1% still remains I'd take the 10 minutes to drain it...
    Good information gets a green nugget. It doesn't take much to drain a half quart of oil to make sure your oil level is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    6-7 quarts in a 2.4 is NOT an overkill?
    I meant to put it IS an overkill, typo man. My apologizes.
    Guess I shouldn't write in a hurry...
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 03-24-2011 at 11:08 PM

Earlier I thought you two where playing around... Guess that is what I get for not reading a thread all the way... My positive rep was for the supposed humor NOT the wrong information...

Thank you Pete for staying on top of this for the community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause I'm awesome like that...

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Next time, just put 4 quarts in, and then keep adding just a tad til it is at the full line.

After you put the first 4 in, start it, wait for the oil light to shut off (it's normal) and shut it down. That fills up the oil filter. Then add til it's full. Simple stuff!
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    Next time, just put 4 quarts in, and then keep adding just a tad til it is at the full line.

After you put the first 4 in, start it, wait for the oil light to shut off (it's normal) and shut it down. That fills up the oil filter. Then add til it's full. Simple stuff!
    Good info! Thats the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
    Thats why we are here... to help our fellow G owners. The last thing we want to see if a member ruining their car because of misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
    Good info! Thats the way to do it.
    That's the way to do it, and thanks. It's the easiest way, seeing as there is no set amount to put in the engine. I do know that mine takes 4.5.

I learned a few other tricks when i worked in a shop.
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
    Earlier I thought you two where playing around... Guess that is what I get for not reading a thread all the way... My positive rep was for the supposed humor NOT the wrong information...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause I'm awesome like that...
    Well I had meant to to be humorous by saying what I said, but it's was just my bad for not getting it out correctly.

Let me give you an example, my buddy used to work for Ford before he moved up to Lexus, And he Used to get out lots of LOF's a day and everytime he needed oil he would call in what he needed so there was no mistakes, 4grts, 5qrts, whatever. The people that controlled it got tired of him calling in frequently so they left his pump open, he called in his 4.5 qrts and started to pump, he left it running and proceeded to check tire pressure. next thing you know theres oil on the floor and all over the engine. He checks the meter and it read 32qrts.

So now whenever we go get oil for my sisters car which is a focus, he jokes and says remember the focus takes 32 qrts.

Just found another on of my own mistakes, I blindly hit 7-8 rather than 6-7. Oakrdrs187

I'm just fucking everything up today, Spilled Gad, Dropped new Header, Screwed this up.... Good thing the original poster didn't come back to post up.

PolishMafia: Apologizes to you and thanks for keeping your eyes peeled.

Prophet: Thanks again for Being Understanding.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 03-24-2011 at 11:39 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast