The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Accidenlty put 5 quarts into 4 Cylinder 2.4L Mivec..it OK??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 23 of 23
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    what i do is fill the filter then leave that bottle to the side and fill the engine with 4 quarts.

Icon14

THIS IS EXACTLY CORRECT the spining of your crank aereates the oil... next time fill the filter first it will fit a good 1/4 to 1/2 a quart of oil i have the 2.4l mivec too then pour 4 full quarts in the engine. Run the engine for like 1 minute giving it enought time to circulate the oil(i like to fill the filter first because when you dont your run the engine dry for like first 10 to 15 seconds while the filter fills with oil and works its way to the engine thats the same as a 1,000 mile trip when driving normaly). turn it off give it 1 to 2 minutes check oil and add IF NEEDED dont go past the full line on the dip stick just play it safe. remember from the add line of the dip stick to the full line its only 1 quart of oil so if its a little from the full line you dont need much oil to get there so just add a little bit at a time....

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
    I got this from an article,

Dangers of Overfilling

While it may not seem like a big deal to overfill the oil in your car, it can cause major malfunctions and potentially cost you thousands of dollars.
    When too much engine oil fills the crankshaft in your car, the oil becomes aerated and is whipped into foam. This is caused by the high rotation of the crankshaft. Foamy oil cannot lubricate your car well, and in many cases it will cause oil flow to halt completely, overheating your oil and causing loss of oil pressure. The engine then becomes starved for lubrication and may potentially lock up.

How to Drain Excess Oil

If you have too much engine oil in your car, you must drain it from beneath the car. With a socket wrench and a plastic oil pan in hand, crawl beneath your car and locate the oil plug. This will be a relatively large bolt at the bottom of the car's oil pan. Reference your car's maintenance manual if you have problems locating the plug.
    Place the plastic oil pan beneath the oil plug. With the socket wrench, loosen the oil plug until oil begins to trickle out. Continue to loosen the oil plug as much as you think necessary to drain excess oil. However, be careful not to loosen the oil plug too much, as it will result in a flood of oil.
    Continue to check the oil dipstick until the oil level is even with the full mark.
    BIG WILLY 9G FOO..........

If you put 5qt's in instead of 4.5 you'll more than likely be fine.

Keep in mind most people who aren't too savy but savy enough to check oil and add when low usually look at the dip stick an see that it says to add some and just add a whole quart when they may need less and they are usually fine. Usually it's when you go way overboard that you'll be running a bigger risk. But I don't think you have anything to worry about with .5 over.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12