The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 17x8 45 offset bullet wheels..is the offset too high for the width

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 39 of 39
    Lol sorry I'm a person that once I see something I'm set in my ways...the only thing I seem to agree with is redgalant's statement on the bigger the better. Plus the 2nd of the two wheels I posted aren't like any volk wheels I've seen before. So its not like I'm buying rota grids or something which seem to be based off of volk te-37s. And really what wheel style hasn't been done before..solid black or gunmetal has been around forever even those with polished lips. Wheels with titanium style lips or the torch burn look have been on a lot of magazine cars. Even crazy colors neon green hot pink etc. It's not much new under the sun anymore...I'm sorry. The most original wheels I've seen were works I think they were, that glow in the dark, and j lines with 100 dollar bills air brushed on the lips..all custom.

Pretty much unless you get wheels custom powdercoated its probably been done before. Also just because volk dubs them time attack I doubt they would sell as many wheels as they have if they restricted their sales to only people who intend track their cars. Can't even count how many show cars rock volks. I've had friends who have or had real te37s and never road race auto x or the likes. At the end of the day its just a wheel..only think is some people buy for the name or the looks and some for the quality of the wheels or its performance advantages.
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 03-27-2011 at 10:47 PM

Also, I think the only thing that should really matter in comparison of an original wheel and a replica is quality. Manufacturing process and the R&D behind it should be all that matters..not the color. IMO so what if other companies copied volks color scheme it doesn't mean they're forged like volks or race proven like them which to me is what really is appealing in a wheel brand like volk. Not the fact they're from japan, you have to have deep pockets to get them, and that they're on some of the nicest cars.

I think what really gets people heated is they spent all the money on wheels like volks when someone else has pretty much the same thing in a replica for half the cost. But think about it, the wheels are 9 times out of 10 not even the same quality as the higher end wheels..so why be mad you still have the upper hand if it matters. Are you buying a wheels for the name or quality..that's the real question imo. For a daily driver, a race inspired wheel might not be fully taken advantage of if you get what I mean. Kinda like having a 800 hp car just to get groceries in lol. Not tryna talk anyone out their opinion, just my outlook on things. All in car talk.
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 03-28-2011 at 12:46 AM

blue8g
    <- Had real TE37's.

Totally worth the money.

That wasn't my point lol...I know they're worth the money. I'm just saying people can copy the color but not the technology, so why does it matter if someone rocks a knock off based off of looks. I could see people being upset if the knock offs were built of the same quality and they overpaid on the volks...but we know more than likely that's not gonna happen.

In other words its like being mad you spent retail for a brand new lamborghini and someone else bought a brand new one for a lot less. At the end of the day a lambo is a lambo, they just caught a deal. That's an example of someone buying a knock off on the same level as the orignial.
    Now if you bought a brand new lambo, and the next person bought a lamborghini kit car based off a completely different car..then you have the upper hand because the kit car may look like a lambo but not perform like one. That's an example of a knock off versus a far superior original. See what I mean..its all about what your willing to compromise. I guess it really comes down to the persons reason for buying the wheel..looks or performance..and which is most important for the use of their car?

So to me people with original wheels have no real reason to be made at people who have knock offs, because there's a reason they paid more for their wheels...technology and or quality. Atleast I hope that's the reason, cause if that weren't the case, yeah you should be made you paid top dollar for the same thing lol. And when I say you I mean people in general not directly to anyone on here
    Last edited by 8thLS6; 03-28-2011 at 09:10 AM

blue8g
    Lets use this example:

Just bought TE37's some one walks up to you and says Nice Grids. I'd rage.

Same goes for Regamaster EVO/Spoon SW388 and Rota Slipstream. Sprint Hart CP-R and Rota GT3. Work CR Kai and Rota Boost/Torque/whatever they are. Advan T7/F7 and those MB Weapon/Battles/Rotas

Well yeah I understand that too, but unless you take the volk decals off I don't see that happening. It could though, I've heard some funny things. Now if someone had grids and got mistaken for volks, I would be upset knowing my wheels were official. That's when I see it being an insult. The only real down fall I think when it comes to knock offs is when people sell them. I know of a particular situation where a guy bought what he thought were TE's but were actually grids, and he was pretty heated. I don't blame him one bit. That's my real complaint is when people pass them off as the real deal. I feel the same about bride replica seats too.

Companys like Rota take these wheels and replicate them with suttle differences, mass produce them at low cost and sell them at almost 1/4 of the cost of an orginal wheel. Im assuming they make a huge profit because they really dont have to design the wheel. This is called BOOTLEGGING and they get away with it because they dont pass them off as Volk CE's or TE's, they pass them off as thier own, Rota Grid or DPT's, but some random guy on ebay or Evom can pass off a used set for the real deal and thats FVCKED UP!

Now me personaly, i dont really care. I have no problem with bootlegs, i use to do my
    X-mas shopping on Canal st. when i was broke back in the day. You buy what you can afford and thats that, but dont think for a MINUTE your getting the same quality for the price you pay lol. Always remember you get what you pay for.

Oh and i just wanted to add a lil something more, Ive been going to the track for the past 2 years or so and Ive yet to see any time attack car rock a set of "time attack" wheels. In fact ive maybe only seen one real race car with a set of Volks. Maybe Its just by my region but most racers rely on the bang for the buck theory since racing can be so costly. But i have seen alot of Rota's LOL

blue8g
    Most Honda guys (that I know) run rpf1's or koseis on track

949's are getting popular too

Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    I was on 17x8 +40 for the pic in my sig.
    Nothing but FAP to your BBS in the sig....

blue8g
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Nothing but FAP to your BBS in the sig....
    lol thanks dude

Yeah there are some wheels coming out that still having quality and performance in mind but few. Yeah people who sell the knock offs as the real things really hurt the industry whether they know it or not. Like the guy who I said ended up buying grids with volk stickers. He went back to the guy he bought from who then claimed he bought from someone else who obviously lied to him claiming they were volks. So them two are out of luck while the guy who slapped the volk stickers on is profiting.

Everyone knocks off something that is popular. The knock-offs aren't necessarily bad quality either. It is also a matter of how well cared for the wheels in this case are cared for. You could have 'knock-offs' that are better shape than their 3pc counterparts. The biggest benefits for buying the better quality brands is better quality finishes.

yeah those are valid points too^^

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    gonna bump this thread

does anyone know if 17x8 +45 will run into the struts/shocks? I'm more concerned with that than I am with the fenders
    btw they will be Enkei RPF1's

Tire size?
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Might rub stock style struts. Coils no
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    gonna run my 215/50/17's

hopefully won't rub. If it does I guess I'll just hold on to the wheels and wait until I get coilovers lol.. it is bound to happen soon.

You will be ok. I had 19x9.5" +40mm on my Galant on the front and with 235/35R19 for the tire size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12