The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sudden break down!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37

Icon8 sudden break down!

I was going 70 mph on the highway turned on my exit and started acting like it ran out of gas, it stalled and i started it back up and it wouldnt accelerate and the rpms wouldnt go up and if i put my foot on the gas too far and let go it would stall, rpms never went past 750, it idles at 500 rpm now, it wont go, never had problems before, its a 1995 S Galant Manual, it starts but only when i put the gas to the floor, i checked the fuel filter its fine, i checked if the fuel pump wasnt working its fine. it runs but doesnt drive.

did you check the timing belt?if the timing belt checks out alright it could be your iac.try turning the crank and make sure all of the timing marks are lined up,it sounds like it could have jumped a tooth.

ok thank you much for the info! unfortunatly i cant work on it today cause of a busy day lol how difficult is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhenne08 View Post
    ok thank you much for the info! unfortunatly i cant work on it today cause of a busy day lol how difficult is this?
    it is not to bad just pull off the top timing cover and take the drivers side wheel off and there should be a spot in the crank bolt for a 1/2 inch drive rachet and spin the crank over clockwise.it is easier to turn it if the spark plugs are taken out.just inspect the belt as it turns.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    I say fuel pump went. Or distributor.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    I say fuel pump went. Or distributor.
    it is very possible it is the distributor mostly like the crank sensor went bad if the timing belt turns out to be alright.

no its fuel related if it starts when floored meaning it isnt getting fuel which probably means the pump if not the pump then distributor
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

the pump and filter are fine i already checked those. i get to the car today and see if the timing jumped, there was also 2 spark plugs that had oil on them, but it doesnt make any bad noises or knocks.

Don't just assume major internal problems it could just need spark plug tube seals/valve cover gasket.

it does need a valve cover gasket, but i have to wait until wednesday for that, damn 2 week pay checks.

this sounds a lot like when my distributor died.
    Last edited by Joker96; 03-27-2011 at 03:40 PM

well it wasnt the timing unless i didnt time it right... i think you guys are right about the distributer but it only has 168000 miles on it.. and my timing belt does need to be replaced. if its too expensive of a fix im just gonna scrap it.

my distributor died on my old 7g with only 120k miles and it died just like that

distributor is like 170 new i believe and you can do that yourself
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

haha its $214 tooo much for me ill just go junk yard hoppin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhenne08 View Post
    well it wasnt the timing unless i didnt time it right... i think you guys are right about the distributer but it only has 168000 miles on it.. and my timing belt does need to be replaced. if its too expensive of a fix im just gonna scrap it.
    does the timing belt have cracks in it?the distributor is $265 at autozone.did you try replacing your fuel filter?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I have a complete distributor out of a working 97 I would sell you for cheap if you want.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=45646
    7g for life!

yes the timing belt has cracks in it, and the 97 wouldn't work with a 95 ecm.

and the fuel filter is fine.

get a used 94-95 distributor. dont worry about little cracks in the belt as that isnt the issue right now
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

these cars are hard to find where im at lol but ill try to find a junkyard that has one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast