The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shaking Car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21
    rayallen34

Shaking Car

Whenever i have the car in drive, and i come to a complete stop at a light, the car starts shaking roughly, but when i take my foot off of the break it stops, and when im at a complete stop and i put it in nuetral it doesnt shake anymore, whats going on here?

Sounds like you have an idle problem.........Try cleaning out your throttle body.......
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

rayallen34

ok

How exactaly do you do that

Gilhuly
    Follow the fat black plastic tube to where it goes into the engine in the back of the engine compartment. This is where the intake becomes the throttle body. Unscrew the hose clampfrom that point and pull the black tube off. Don't be afraid to yank onit or otherwise coerce it. Now you are looking into the throttle body. Get that metal flapper open and use Carbuerator/intake cleaner and a rag to clean out the flapper on the back and everything you can get to inside the TB

After taking off the intake, as mentioned above, you will see a hole with a flap in it called the Butterfly valve. What you do is you press down on the alternate accelerator (i don't know what that is called) and the valve will open up. Its a black little thing with coils of line on it.....It is the line that goes around and eventually to your gas pedal....You should see it, its very close to the throttle body....After you have press down on it, just like the guy on top said, spray some carb cleaner on a CLEAN rag and wipe out all the dirt and grime as best you can.....Make sure you do all this with your engine OFF.......
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

Faction
    aye there i use to spray carb cleaner into the intake chamber while the car was running and push the RPMs toward 4k...is that bad? :? does it still work?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punklant_03)</div><div class='quotemain'>aye there i use to spray carb cleaner into the intake chamber while the car was running and push the RPMs toward 4k...is that bad? Â*:? Â*does it still work?</div>
    It doesn't hurt anything, but it doesn't really clean the throttle body like a good scrubbing. Your method will still leave most of the carbon on the butterfly valve. Nothin works like elbow grease.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Faction
    that black tube on my stock intake resonator is stuck or fried on...how do i get it off so i can clean the throttle body

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punklant_03)</div><div class='quotemain'>that black tube on my stock intake resonator is stuck or fried on...how do i get it off so i can clean the throttle body</div>The heat probably sealed it. After you loosen the clamp you may have to convince it off...
    Chip

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

FinalLast

Re: Shaking Car

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rayallen34)</div><div class='quotemain'>Whenever i have the car in drive, and i come to a complete stop at a light, the car starts shaking roughly, but when i take my foot off of the break it stops, and when im at a complete stop and i put it in nuetral it doesnt shake anymore, whats going on here?</div>

i had the same problem
    i fixed it by changing the plugs on my car
    good luck!

Faction
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punklant_03)</div><div class='quotemain'>that black tube on my stock intake resonator is stuck or fried on...how do i get it off so i can clean the throttle body</div>The heat probably sealed it. After you loosen the clamp you may have to convince it off...</div>

convince it off? like break it off?

No...like twist and pull until it comes loose...Don't break anything...my old stock one came right off. You did remember to loosen the clamp right?
    Chip

clone2020
    I have the same problem. My steering wheel vibrates when I have the brake pressed and in the drive position. As soon as I let go of the brake, the vibrations go away.

I've changed the spark plugs & cleaned the throttle body but it didn't help much.

-Mike.

BlueESV6
    Quote Originally Posted by clone2020
    I have the same problem. My steering wheel vibrates when I have the brake pressed and in the drive position. As soon as I let go of the brake, the vibrations go away.

I've changed the spark plugs & cleaned the throttle body but it didn't help much.

-Mike.
    In older cars the brakes are vacuum assisted. Could you have a vacuum leak somewhere causing the rough idle? Check all your hoses that have to do with the braking system...

FinalLast

-Mike.

what plugs did u use? (autolite junk don't work - use factory ones)
    how many mile do you have? Maybe time for a tranny flush?

-Mike.
    i had the same problem after i tighten the throttle body cable. i loosen it back and the shaking went away.
    <a href="http://jayd.net" target="_blank">Ride With Me Home</a>

clone2020
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone2020)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the same problem. My steering wheel vibrates when I have the brake pressed and in the drive position. As soon as I let go of the brake, the vibrations go away. Â*

I've changed the spark plugs & cleaned the throttle body but it didn't help much. Â*

-Mike.</div>

In older cars the brakes are vacuum assisted. Could you have a vacuum leak somewhere causing the rough idle? Check all your hoses that have to do with the braking system...</div>

Thanks Blue, I'll check them out...

-Mike.

clone2020
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FinalLast)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone2020)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the same problem. My steering wheel vibrates when I have the brake pressed and in the drive position. As soon as I let go of the brake, the vibrations go away. Â*

I've changed the spark plugs & cleaned the throttle body but it didn't help much. Â*

-Mike.</div>

what plugs did u use? (autolite junk don't work - use factory ones)
    how many mile do you have? Maybe time for a tranny flush?</div>

NGK factory plugs...

I already flushed the tranny a couple months ago...

You might also want to check your motor mount (or roll stop as they're called) for excessive wear or breakage. There's one in the front right by the exhaust manifold and one in the back. I just replaced mine with poly mounts and now have a slight vibration, which was expected.
    Chip

clone2020
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(djScript)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone2020)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the same problem. My steering wheel vibrates when I have the brake pressed and in the drive position. As soon as I let go of the brake, the vibrations go away. Â*

-Mike.</div>

i had the same problem after i tighten the throttle body cable. i loosen it back and the shaking went away.</div>

It was happening before I tightened the TB cable but I'll loosen it back up to see it if works.

-Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast