The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Power steering squeal

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Power steering squeal

Ok 99 v6 , power steering squeaks. Upon first start up steering wheel hesitates while attempting to turn at times and squeaks anybody have this before. Here's a video so u can see

http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/...t=5e46cc7a.mp4

Thanks Joe

check your belt for cracks and the tension on it.if the belt is good the bearing is probably bad in it,so you have to buy a new power steering pump.did make sure the fluid is full?

Very good suggestions but does it change thing if after five minutes of driving it's gone until the next time i shut her off for 3 or more hrs. Also can u point me I'n the direction of a tutorial of drivebelt maintenance and/or power steering system.

Guess not
    Can you size down your sig please? Thanks, Admin :)

i dont see any tutorials on here for it.does your car have two belts or one?if you have two there should be a tensioner around where the power steering pump is loosen that and pull the belt off at the same time.and to install it,it is the reverse process.
    Last edited by galantlvr34; 03-29-2011 at 02:57 PM

Have you changed your fluid recently? A friend of mine had a bad squeal and when we checked his car, he was low on fluid. There was a leak somewhere.

That could be, i will check, does he have a 6g72 and do you recall what part exactly was leaking?

No man, I just spoke to him and he told me, when he did the power steering flush, the dealer forgot to put fluid in. His was not a Mitsubishi. Another guy with a Corolla had a similar issue, and we never found the leak, it was more like the cap was not on tight enough and it must have pushed the fluid out.