The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: coilover sleeves

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

coilover sleeves

What's up TGC!!haven't posted in a long time but looking for your guys opinion. so i plan on getting the skunk 2 sleeves since i'm just looking for a nice drop and i won't be using the car at any track.with that being said,what's a good spring rate for a daily use to be used on the coilovers?the megan springs that i have one the car is 320F/250R and they are very comfortable,would that spring rate be the same as if on the coilover sleeves?thanks in advance guys.

WANNA LOOK FRESH????
    GET SOME CLOTHES AT KARMALOOP.COM AND GET 20% ON FIRST PURCHASE WHEN USING REPCODE:KN21899

siniGANG represent!

I dont know much about spring rates but I do know that 4-g-rim has that setup on his car and he seems to be happy with it. I think that the spring rate for coilover springs may be different than regular springs but I have nothing to back that up so you better wait for more help.lol

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

I believe he has GC sleeves, not skunk2
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 98mgalant View Post
    I dont know much about spring rates but I do know that 4-g-rim has that setup on his car and he seems to be happy with it. I think that the spring rate for coilover springs may be different than regular springs but I have nothing to back that up so you better wait for more help.lol
    Spring rates are spring rates. They signify amount of force per unit length. A skinny spring can have the same spring rate as a very wide spring. It just depends on certain other characteristics, like material, # of coils, etc. If they are ideal (which they never are) then they will apply the same amount of force for the same amount of compression (hence they will be the same); however, being that they DO give you spring rates, I think they are "close enough" to this state to assume they will be nearly the same.

Just my opinion.

I will make an analogy: You are blind folded, and someone hands you a basket with 2 rather large (in volume) 5 lb weights, totaling 10 lbs. They then you another basket with 5 smaller, 2lb weights, again totaling 10 lbs. You would not recognize the difference.

I think what you mean to say is that coilovers tend to have a lot higher spring rates than normal springs. OP, I'm sure if you wanted coilovers with similar spring rates, it could be done. Or maybe not, since they have to be so small and stiff.

Again, I could be completely off-base. I'm just using my knowledge of physics lol
    Last edited by beam514; 03-30-2011 at 12:32 AM

Kev is definately rocking the Skunks, he and I have had many covos about em. I got rid of mine because they were too harsh of a ride for me...Kevin lives in FL with damn near perfect roads so the ride is not bad. Here in Cali they were a nightmare. I still have em if you want a good deal on em, they are a little dirty but nothing is wrong with em. I did clean em up the best I could, when I get a chance i'll post some pics for you. But if you have real rough roads where you live i'd think twice about em. However if you dont care, then I can honestly say these handle like they are on rails. There is 0 body roll and the springs are very stiff.

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

I'm running GC coilovers with 450#F, 250#R and like that combo quite a bit. They are firm enough that it corners really well but soft enough that I don't get beaten to death on rough surfaces. I've got a little more weight to throw around in the rear but I think the 250's would still work for you. I do suggest using the bump stops and a good set of shocks (koni) to go with whatever you use and don't drop it much or you'll lose handling (suspension geometry stuff I won't go into).
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I'm running D2s and the dampers on on the stiffest setting and I think that are fine a little rough but totally worth it when Im going though turns. So if you don't mind a stiff ride you could go that way. They are alittle bit more expensive. But if I were you I'd buy those that evil-g-nius offered. He is a good seller.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
    Kev is definately rocking the Skunks, he and I have had many covos about em. I got rid of mine because they were too harsh of a ride for me...Kevin lives in FL with damn near perfect roads so the ride is not bad. Here in Cali they were a nightmare. I still have em if you want a good deal on em, they are a little dirty but nothing is wrong with em. I did clean em up the best I could, when I get a chance i'll post some pics for you. But if you have real rough roads where you live i'd think twice about em. However if you dont care, then I can honestly say these handle like they are on rails. There is 0 body roll and the springs are very stiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    I believe he has GC sleeves, not skunk2

yeah i remember him talking about having the skunks.yeah i read everywhere that the sleeves are really really stiff.i would but your set but i messaged skunk to see if they can give me different spring rates then the ones they offer and they said yes.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    I'm running GC coilovers with 450#F, 250#R and like that combo quite a bit. They are firm enough that it corners really well but soft enough that I don't get beaten to death on rough surfaces. I've got a little more weight to throw around in the rear but I think the 250's would still work for you. I do suggest using the bump stops and a good set of shocks (koni) to go with whatever you use and don't drop it much or you'll lose handling (suspension geometry stuff I won't go into).
    i don't really mind handling as much as looks since i'm no speed racer on the streets.those spring rates seem like a good number,i might consider those.thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 98mgalant View Post
    I'm running D2s and the dampers on on the stiffest setting and I think that are fine a little rough but totally worth it when Im going though turns. So if you don't mind a stiff ride you could go that way. They are alittle bit more expensive. But if I were you I'd buy those that evil-g-nius offered. He is a good seller.
    i would go with a full coilover but way to much money and too much unnecessary setting that i won't even be using.if i were to get a set of full coilovers,i was thinking of the megan racing ez street since they are the cheaper ones and only offer 15 setting for dampening.

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    Spring rates are spring rates. They signify amount of force per unit length. A skinny spring can have the same spring rate as a very wide spring. It just depends on certain other characteristics, like material, # of coils, etc. If they are ideal (which they never are) then they will apply the same amount of force for the same amount of compression (hence they will be the same); however, being that they DO give you spring rates, I think they are "close enough" to this state to assume they will be nearly the same.

Just my opinion.

I will make an analogy: You are blind folded, and someone hands you a basket with 2 rather large (in volume) 5 lb weights, totaling 10 lbs. They then you another basket with 5 smaller, 2lb weights, again totaling 10 lbs. You would not recognize the difference.

I think what you mean to say is that coilovers tend to have a lot higher spring rates than normal springs. OP, I'm sure if you wanted coilovers with similar spring rates, it could be done. Or maybe not, since they have to be so small and stiff.

Again, I could be completely off-base. I'm just using my knowledge of physics lol
    thanks for your explanations though haha.let's hope and pray that it will be the same

WANNA LOOK FRESH????
    GET SOME CLOTHES AT KARMALOOP.COM AND GET 20% ON FIRST PURCHASE WHEN USING REPCODE:KN21899

siniGANG represent!

good luck. keep us posted

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

I had GC on my first Galant and I loved them. Currently awaiting the arrival of my set for the V6. I tried to order the Skunks and they said that they don't produce them anymore.

I have Megan sleeves on my 7g rides nice not crazy bumpy. It handels nice n turns.... But they suck on stock struts.. Gets bumpy on big bumps...... What front lip is that on ur 7ga bumper?

So let me ask a question that may make me sound dumb, let's hope not though..... can coilover sleaves be used with stock type struts (ie. Kyb) or do you have to have certain struts. I have only seen them but never cared enough to ask until topic came about.

I have Megan coilover sleeves and yes they can be used on stock struts. But recommended to get new strusmts rather there stock or aftermarket. I have ground control coming n in about 2weeks for 300 from nopi

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    I have Megan coilover sleeves and yes they can be used on stock struts. But recommended to get new strusmts rather there stock or aftermarket. I have ground control coming n in about 2weeks for 300 from nopi
    Do they fit right with the struts you have them on now i just don't see them seating right?

Yea sitting perfectly fine..... Nothing wrong handles Nicely and no bumps

Sweet thinks for the input i wonder if its the same for the 8g as for 7g?

Really couldn't tell you but my friend has skunks on his 96civic coupe was bouncy as hell but his shocks r shot lol like I said new shocks or make sure urs arnt crap......