The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Going from coilovers back to stock...

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    brandon

Going from coilovers back to stock...

What parts are required to go back to stock suspension setup after having coilovers??

I know some stuff was just taken out and not used once the coilovers were put in.

Any estimate on cost of replacing those parts that are no longer used for the coilovers?

AND, if I go with the Eibachs, it's just the spring and strut set up, just like the coilovers were, correct?

Thanks,
    Brandon

Experienced TGC Member
    hmmm... not exactly clear on what you're asking here Brandon. Basically the parts you need are whatever you threw away, I have my OEM suspension in a box down in the garage.
    The parts you may have thrown away could include:

Springs
    Spring Retainer hat
    Dust cover
    Bump-Stop (hopfully you just cut them in half rather than toss them)

For all of that I would estimate a pretty hefty sum of like $500 from the dealer...

If you use Eibachs you will need the spring retainer hat for sure. It's the circular rubbber peice that held the top of the spring down.

Just curious as to why you want to change back?

Wes
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

brandon
    Well, a friend of mine swapped in the coilovers originally for me, I'm pretty sure I still have everything that was taken out... so I should be fine.

Just wanted an estimate on what was required, etc.

Why go back to stock? With the body kit on I've just been getting too frustrated with how careful you have to be driving. Even with the coilovers raised all the way up (or pretty close), it's still an inch drop or so and I find myself scraping over every driveway I pull into.

I'll probably be selling them soon if anyone is interested by the way... They're great if you want the convenience of adjustable height... but I don't recommend them if you have a kit on your car unless it's not your daily driver or you live somewhere you don't have to worry about potholes and the like.

This is an annoying hassle, but I like the looks people give you when they notice your car is less then 2" off the ground.

Experienced TGC Member
    While on the subject..I just installed 2 rear agx's and coilovers (ebay poop) Jesse has the same ones I believe. Im riding at stock height, but its really bouncy agx are both set to 3. If I turn them up would the ride not bounce around as much? Craig (g96nt) told me I should never turn them up to 8 and 2,3 are good for normal streets ??
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Experienced TGC Member
    8 is a good setting if you'd like a broken back, at that setting the chamber has little to no give.
    In theory, if you turn them up it should stiffen the bounce. I said in theory... there are factors that this would depend on. The strut should be able to dampen regardless of the spring rate but since a coilover has the option of how much spring and rod you are actually riding on this balance is harder to find.

I can speak from experience with my Skunk2's that making the struts harder is not going to help you Rob. When I first got them the ride was bouncey and crappy so I stiffened up the back to 6 or so. Instead of a soft bouncey ride, it was a hard bouncy ride... with them stiff, the rear would litterally LAUNCH off the ground if I hit a bump just right. I have them on 3 right now and that seems to be the best spot for mine, still not exactly to my liking however

It's all about finding what's good for you bro..

You put the shorter coils on the back and the longer up front right?
    Just checking because there has been some confusion on this board with that small little detail.

Wes
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>