The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SRT-4 swap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

SRT-4 swap?

Hey i'm new here and also my english isn't the best so sorry for that.

Maybe this is seriously noobish question but i want my galant back on the streets where it belongs.

I was thinking about swapping an srt-4 engine in my 8g galant becouse my engine has ceased to live any longer for me.

And i know all of you are putting an evo engine in it but where i'm from you can't get an evo engine so easily, but i can get an dodge neon srt-4 that has been sawed in half and the engine and everything from the front seat to the front bumper is okay.

So really my question is can i put a neon srt-4 engine, transmission and the hole thing in a 8g galant with out to much trouble?

I've never heard of that. Without much research, I'm willing to bet that the whole engine harness and everything to be swapped over. It's not worth it. Completely different car car.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    I've never heard of that. Without much research, I'm willing to bet that the whole engine harness and everything to be swapped over. It's not worth it. Completely different car car.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    i am with you on this one,he can use a eclipse engine though if he can find one.

as DTP said, too much trouble/work. were are you from?
    De que estamos hablando?

i'm from iceland.

But i have read that people have put the 420a engine from srt-4 in eclipse so if it's possible to put a 420a engine from srt-4 to eclipse and eclipse engine to galant shouldn't it fit, i'm not saying it's as easy as taking one engine out and putting another in but with some work it should fit?

Also somone said to me that the srt-4 engine was 4g62 or 4g64 2.4L turbocharged engine, i'm not sure but isn't that a mmc engine that should fit?

this is only what i have heard or read somewhere
    Last edited by runar; 03-31-2011 at 02:57 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    The only swap ive seen was an srt4 engine into a 1st gen eclipse 90-95 and from what I read it was the biggest pain in the ass. The orientation of that motor is backwards if I recall correctly, with the exhaust in the rear and intake in the front. Its not gonna be worth it.
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    The only swap ive seen was an srt4 engine into a 1st gen eclipse 90-95 and from what I read it was the biggest pain in the ass. The orientation of that motor is backwards if I recall correctly, with the exhaust in the rear and intake in the front. Its not gonna be worth it.
    yeah it isnt worth it plus the 420a isnt the greatest motor a lot of stuff happens to these engines.he should just stick with a 4g64 or even a 4g63.

maybe a stupid question but why does it matter if the exhaust is on the rear and intake in the front?

if i'm taking everything out of the neon and putting it in the galant?
    Last edited by runar; 03-31-2011 at 03:48 PM

Your best bet is doing some measurements, taking photos and doing the comparison yourself. As has been stated, no one here has done it. The reason is the 4G64 is a very stout engine and with a good rebuild can be turbocharged for lots of power. If you don't have huge holes in your block your best bet is going that route. Otherwise, see if you can get an Evo 4-9 engine imported from Europe. For the 9 you would almost certainly need the ECU and engine harness. I couldn't say regarding the rest.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Honestly, I would look for a 4g63. Check in the UK, there are plenty there. The SRT4 swaps you are referring to might have been performed on DSMs that came with a 420a to begin with. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you'll have a lot easier job to stay in the same engine family.

you might as well go 4g63t... easier

If you want more of a challenge go AWD

If he's from Iceland, the car might have the 4g63 already. Could be just a matter of swapping pistons and head.

And as others said already the SRT4 engine might be a direct swap for the 420A Eclipses. These cars already have Dodge ECU so its probably much easier to do so.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    I dont want to say yes or no...it depends how far you want to go, how diff you want to be, how deep your pockets are. Anything is possible, but if it was me man...Id say just do a 4g63t swap in their instead. Saves you time and maybe even money, but hey dont let us stop you from it. Do some research first on it and measurments. I am fully sure you will have to take out the entire engine harness and do some cutting and welding here and there. Ehhhh just do a 4g63t swap.lol

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

TGC Regular
    So everyone is agreeing on 4G63t being the most compatible turbo swap having the variables of money and time?

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

Quote Originally Posted by ADExternal View Post
    So everyone is agreeing on 4G63t being the most compatible turbo swap having the variables of money and time?
    yes if you have a 4g64 a 4g63t is almost the same thing but the displacement is different.the engine block will line up with no prooblem and you wont have to do modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    yes if you have a 4g64 a 4g63t is almost the same thing but the displacement is different.the engine block will line up with no prooblem and you wont have to do modifications.
    If he's got an EDM 8g, I4, he'll have a 4g63 NA SOHC. But otherwise yeah.

well i thought about it and i think i am going to swap a 4g63t but as gtx said i might have a 4g63 na sohc.

But i found a guy who's willing to sell me his engine most of what i need i think.

So now i'm thinking shouldn't it be a straight fit and is it possible that some 8g galants fwd came with the tunnel for a 4wd if so does a eclipse 4wd fit in a galant?

And is it hard to make my automatic galant manual?

And thanks for all your answer much appreciated
    Last edited by runar; 04-03-2011 at 12:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    Actually, they either swap the entire motor or just the block and use the 420A head. It is most commonly seen on 2G Eclipses.

Quote Originally Posted by runar View Post
    well i thought about it and i think i am going to swap a 4g63t but as gtx said i might have a 4g63 na sohc.

But i found a guy who's willing to sell me his engine most of what i need i think.

So now i'm thinking shouldn't it be a straight fit and is it possible that some 8g galants fwd came with the tunnel for a 4wd if so does a eclipse 4wd fit in a galant?

And is it hard to make my automatic galant manual?

And thanks for all your answer much appreciated
    As far as the manual swap, you can use the 3G transmission (2000-05) from the Eclipse and there is a thread for the swap that can be found by using the search feature.

Runar, do you have a pic of your engine bay?

IIRC, there was someone on the dsmforums who swapped in an evo 8 motor into a 420a eclipse. He said the motor mounts all line up, surprisingly. So if you have a 4g63 that has the same orientation as an Evo, you might be able to "bolt in" a 420a.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast