The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Muff this car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 35

Muff this car

Dude muff this car it wont freakin start its pissed me off for the last time distributor is fine, did a full tune up, and nothing, so if theres anything i can do let me know or this POS is going to the scrap yard.

thats funny. mine runs day in, day out no problems......

check for fuel and spark. battery and the starter are usually the first thing to look at.

but just a vague "it won't start" won't help us help you

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

did all the above it wont start but it turns over

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    so fuel pump, fuel filter and all that are good too? list whats new.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Basically you need three things to make a motor run; air fuel and spark all occuring at the right time and in the right amounts. So do you have spark? Do you have fuel? That's what Gallanttuner10 is asking you. BTW, Haynes manual has a good troubling shooting section for galants on page 0-21 of it Galant 1994-2003 manual. If you don't have one, pick one up at autozone.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

I have spark, i have fuel, and i dont get why i wouldnt have air. lol
    The fuel pump is engaging when i go to start the car, fuel pressure is excellent.
    I tested the distributor, i have spark. my guess is sensors, but my check engine light hasnt came on, my heater fan went out a month ago and im thinking that made something electrical poop out, i checked all the fuses, they are all good including the heater fan, my defroster went out at the same time my heater fan did, could it be my computer and wire harness?? if so ill just do a dohc swap. but first i need to get this thing running.

Maybe a plugged catalytic converter. A noticeable decrease in power or minimal revs especially when hot is a good indicator. If left unfixed eventually it wont start, its like stuffing a potato in a muffler.

As your engines turns over when you turn the key and you have fuel, 2) spark (air is a given if you still have the stock air filter system) the most likely causes of not starting are broken or slipped timing belt (check that the alignment marks are alligned), bad crankshaft/camshaft sensor (depends on year of car) or bad ECU.

Things that would be helpful are :
    Why did you do a full tune up? I assume that means you changed the plugs, wires, distro cap, rotor and correctly gapped the plugs to 1.0-1.1 mm and did not get any plug wires crossed to the wrong plug.
    What happened just before the car started acting up?
    How did you test for spark? (I like to pull the spark plug, reattach the plug wire and then ground it against the car and then watch for a spark.)
    When you crank the engine to try and start it does it spin faster and easier?
    Last edited by eksz; 04-03-2011 at 06:14 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

yes i took a spark plug out and grounded it lol i got spark.
    i did the tune up cause i thought that was the problem. its a 95. the wires are matched right with the cap and engine. and it just keeps turning as fast as the starter turns it and wont start. the plugs are gapped correctly, what timing marks do i have to look at? and it didnt act up before it died or anything, it just died while i was driving.

timing belt is gone from the sound of it

What was happening before the tune up that made you decide to do a tune up?

I ask about the engine spinning because if a timing belt breaks the engine will spin very freely when the starter is engaged. It spins freely because the valves are no longer being opened and closed like they should and as such the engine does not develop compression. Compression slowes down the spinning of the engine when cranking the starter due to the extra drag on the engine. The timing marks are under the plastic timing belt covers that cover the timing belt. It is a lot of work to pull them; have to remove fan belts, water pump cover, and work in a space with little clearance. Try just removing the top timing belt cover and see if your timing belt is damaged/broke.
    jjj

nothing out of the ordinary, my dad gave me the car and he put tons of miles on it since its last tune up. the timing belt looks okay, i mean it looks like it needs to be changed in the near future but its rotating.

That's very good that your timing belt is not broke. In most cases when a timing belt breaks the valves and pistoin collide and you end up with junk for an engine.

So if I understand correctly, the car was running fine before you did the tune up. You did the tune up because the car had a lot of miles and now it won't start. Is that correct?
    jjj

no i did the tune up cause that's the only thing i didnt do to see if that's why the car stopped running.

Okay, go back and tell us what happened just before and when the car stopped runnning? Was it running when you got it?
    jjj

Yes i was driving it when it suddenly wouldnt accelerate. felt like it ran out of gas, so thats when i looked at the fuel system and the fuels system was fine.

Compression test all 4 cylinders. post results

How can i tell if the timing is off?

nothing wrong with those numbers. You tested for spark on all 4 plugs/wires not just 1?
    are spark plugs wet with fuel right after attempting to start?

What about TPS sensor? Or the the throttle plate itself not moving to let air in. Just throwing out some other suggestions in case they were over looked.

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast