The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Muff this car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 35 of 35
    so far 1 spark plug had raw fuel on it, and it wont start even with my foot on the gas the throttle plate moves.

Bad gas? Also check for spark on your other 3 plugs and make sure they're wet with fuel also. Just to rule out injectors not firing.

I doubt your timing belt is broken, as I believe you wouldn't get any spark at all if that were the case, since the distributor is turned by the camshaft. If the timing belt were broken, the camshaft wouldn't spin, neither would the rotor in the distributor, and therefore no spark. Also you have compression.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 04-03-2011 at 03:50 PM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

Yea, all of the plugs were wet with fuel. and they all had a spark.

My guess is reply 7, try cracking exhaust loose before the cat. converter

so is it a timing issue? or an electrical issue (ECM).

Quote Originally Posted by Jhenne08 View Post
    so is it a timing issue? or an electrical issue (ECM).
    It probably isn't a mechanical timing issue as your compression readings look good. To know for sure, take all the spark plugs out, rotate the engine clockwise with a socket and ratchet until the crank pulley timing mark is aligned with the mark on the lower timing cover. Remove the distributor cap and verify that the rotor button is pointing at the #1 cylinder contact.

After you've done that, verify that the word "up" etched into the camshaft sprocket is facing up. If all 3 things (crank pulley, distributor rotor, camshaft sprocket) are pointing at TDC, your timing is correct.

I agree with reply 7. Disconnect the exhaust before the cat.
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 04-03-2011 at 06:39 PM
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

Probably nothing to do with timing. I'd assume timing is fine because you said the car was running before you tuned it up. Also as you have good compression numbers, I doubt it has anything to do with timing so long as you have not done anything with the timing belt. Slight posibility that the timing belt has slipped but again that's not likely.
    Just to be certain, you didn't do anything to the timing belt did you?

He said all plugs are wet with gas so fuel delivery sounds good. If it has a gas smell from all the cranking of the engine (i.e., it should be flooded by now ), then I'd assume the gas is good.

He tuned it up only because it didn't have any power. He has said no wires were crossed and the plugs were gapped correctly during the tune up so the car should be able to at least start as it was running before the tune up. That makes me wonder if something got messed up during the tune up; wire knocked loose? Assuming that is not the case then that leads me to question a clogged catalytic converter or one of the sensors.

Let's focus on the exhaust. I've never tried dropping the exhaust pipe at the header and running the engine before. What do other think about doing that to see if it is the catalytic converter?

FYI: I would not run the engine much for concerns about cold air contracting hot exhaust valves due header being open to outside air but figure as a test, an attempt to start it with the exhaust removed from the header would not hurt anything as long as you shut it down right after it does start, if it starts. Others thoughts?
    Last edited by eksz; 04-05-2011 at 05:19 PM
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

no it stopped running, so thats when i did the tune up, because it stopped running while i was driving it, with no sign of breaking down it just quit.

no its the cat.. idk wtf it could be

Kleen
    possibly when your heater blower motor went out it could have cause frying like you stated? or even mabey the sugested tps? dose it try and kick over or dose it not do anything at this point?
    unrelated but how many miles on your odometer?

the body has 168000 miles and the motor has just over 200,000.

check the intake tube between sensor and throttle body the accordian area, a small rip in the tube/hose can do that.

its fine

Try spraying some ether but if you truly have good fuel and fuel pressure I doubt this will get any results though.

Kleen
    my guess at this point is a *fryed ecu or somthing electrical* due to the fact that fuel system and delivery is good and all air circulation good.. of course bad air circulation really wouldnt not "allow" the car to start unless you have your intake piping disconected from the throttle body itself..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12