The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hid install

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Hid install

Am having trouble istalling my hid in stock headlights. How am i going to get the cable from the hid bulb out to the balast and how am i going to get the 9006 cable to the ballast if the cable lives inside the headlight??

TGC Regular
    I thought our HIDs were H4s. Also, you just tuck it under the bushing to the outside. Post up a pick, we can help you better with that.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

i dont have a camera atm but i mean the plastic cap that seals the headlight once u put the light bult in it. theres a cable inside the headlight so basically everything is sealed inside now the headlight has just 1 plug for both low beam and high beam. so basically when u try to put the hid bulb inside, the 9006 cable that is inside the headlight also has come out to the ballast and back in to the hid bulb and once u do that u can no loger put the seal cap. becouse the 2 set of cables are in the way i dont know if u understand.

Quote Originally Posted by ADExternal View Post
    I thought our HIDs were H4s. Also, you just tuck it under the bushing to the outside. Post up a pick, we can help you better with that.
    he has a 96 sooo idk

also is it normal for hids to flicker and change pattern of light all the time???

h4 are for jdm galants h4 low beam h1 high beam usdm has 9006 lows and 9005 highs
    Last edited by Joker96; 04-01-2011 at 12:41 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Joker96 View Post
    also is it normal for hids to flicker and change pattern of light all the time???
    the color will change from ignite to full warm but the flickering means that the ballasts are not getting enough power or the ballasts are fried or both. ideally HID should get power directly from the battery via a relay as stock wiring was never meant to supply (and most often cannot handle) the power required by the ballasts on HID start-up.

mmm i see, the hids came with a relay harness but i dont know about that. is there an specific relay i need? a wiring diagram would be awesome

ok i googled it and i saw how its done am going to get one of these relays off ebay i see there are different fuses, wich one do i need?

if the HID came w/ a relay harness, use that.

nope my bad i thought that was a relay but its not its just an extension cable, i ordered a relay from ebay

cheaper kits use crappy ballasts that will flicker...don't know what you got but the relay may not help. Let us know though...I have some flickering as well and its annoying

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Damn mine is as cheap as it could get i paid 34 with ship incluided lol

then thats your issue. The ballast was poorly made.

finished sorry no before pics sorry iphone camera

Last edited by Joker96; 04-04-2011 at 09:21 AM

So what is the difference in the hide beam pattern and a regular bulb. Cause it is illegal to retrofit them the way you have because of the way the light pattern shines in other drivers eyes. But why does it shine in other people's eyes and regular bulbs dont? Hope someone can understand what I am asking.lol

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Oh, and sometimes the fat guy can lay the pipe. Just saying.....

Quote Originally Posted by 98mgalant View Post
    So what is the difference in the hide beam pattern and a regular bulb. Cause it is illegal to retrofit them the way you have because of the way the light pattern shines in other drivers eyes. But why does it shine in other people's eyes and regular bulbs dont? Hope someone can understand what I am asking.lol
    HID bulbs produce light in a different pattern than regular incandescent bulbs, and incandescent reflectors are not designed with the difference in light output in mind. So the different parts of the reflector shine that different light in all sorts of directions, which explains the undefined blob of light on the ground.

They do have HID bulbs in reflectors in some cars (Prius, Avalon, earlier TL's) but they use a special bulb with a reflective strip to block the high light (D2R bulbs, I believe) and the reflector has been designed for that. But most newer cars use projectors to get the best output from HID bulbs.

I have mine aimed really low to not blind folk, but it doesn't give me the distance I want. So that's why I'm going to projectors in the near future.

Here's a link that explains it better than me
    Last edited by wetamup2k3g; 04-04-2011 at 03:33 PM

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

why do u have problems? i didn understand, dont but the "plug & play" ones?

-Mitsubishi Galant LS 1994 a/t [ SOLD ]

I never had a beam pattern issue with OEM light housings and HIDs. Part of the issue is the level your lights are aimed at. Currently I am rockin HIDs in World Specs and no issues there either. I do notice that the world specs don't throw light the same way the OEMs did, but by no means did I have those "light spike" issues that people say you get from them. I dont think retro-fitting is really necessary