The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car wont start

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    jtb2010

car wont start

alright, i just bought a 1996 galant s and it wont start. i havent really done much with it but eliminated timing belt as an issue because it is still in tact and it looks new. there is no serp belt but i have the things needed to fix that. there is no fuel pump wiring harness, so im going to do the test for fuel tomorrow. i just need to know where to spray the starting fluid. and any other ideas as to what to do if that doesnt work. thanks.

and i know if it has no fuel pump wiring harness that it definitely doesnt have fuel, but if i spray the fluid in there and it starts thats my only problem. so if anyone could tell me where to spray the fluid so i dont blow up the engine. im looking to eventually to mod it, so if there are any suggestions ill take those. btw never owned a galant before so i guess itll all need to be put into laymans terms

just spray it in the throttle body and see if it starts or spudders then you know your not getting fuel. Or just test the fuel pump via the fuel pump tester on the firewall.
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

jtb2010
    i sprayed some starting fluid into a little hole that is on the air intake and then put the hose back on. i would say more of the starting fluid was out of the hole than in it. but it didnt start. then i checked for spark and it was there. so if it is compression what could it be? i can see that the timing belt is still on there. if i go and buy a compression test will i be able to tell what is wrong with it exactly?

jtb2010
    im going to try the fuel test again. how can i spray into the throttle body? i dont see any opening.

TGC Regular
    can you do a vid of you trying to start it from the driver points of view, and the engine point of view. Would much help us get an idea what/where the problem may be because a car not starting could mean unlessly anything.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

jtb2010
    alright.

im having the same problem. lol

Listening to the video (the one showing the motor) made it sound like it wanted to start. I'd go ahead and wire in the fuel pump and you might just get lucky. On cars with a carb, I'd just dump gas down the carb but our Galants are fuel injected. I don't place a lot of stock in adding gas (or starting fulid) via the air intake. Undoing each injector or the spark plugs to drop a small amount of gas into the combustion chamber is too much work. Again, I'd make up and hook up a harness for the fuel pump and cross my fingers.
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL