The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: dropping engine in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 55

dropping engine in

ok so im finally putting my car back together.... about time... but i have a problem i dont have the clearance to get the engine assembly in!? oh and i didnt remove the tranny.

seems like the crank pulley is in the way. so i tried to take that off and its not budging so that brings me to my questions.

does the crank pulley need to come off to get the engine back in?
    if so how in the hell does it come off? i got one off before but no timing belt was on it, im wondering if thats the problem. maybe its siezed...

any help would be appreciated i want to get this thing running i miss driving my baby.
    wish i had a haynes manual as the fsm isnt giving me the info i need.

thanks and oh its 4cyl
    Last edited by dGALANTc; 04-06-2011 at 07:37 PM
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

drop it in on an angle. I always lift the car off the engine and trans much easier this way...

yea im in a single garage had no room for that... ill try to drop it at an angle thanks... oh love your car btw
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

thanks. i would kick the pully side up high and send the trans side in first you shouldnt have any prob...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    That pulley should come off pretty easily. Its just 4 12mm bolts holding it on. Make sure you dont mess with the big bolt in the middle, that holds the timing gear on. If you cant get it off, do just like stated above, put it in there on an angle. If its really a prob, pull the trans, bolt it all together and put it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Stewi I think he is talking about the crank gear. I dropped my motor in tilted as well.

Back from the dead!!!

stewi was right just those four a whach with a rubber mallet an it came right off. so...

i got the pulley off and it dropped right in.... now it seems like a pain to get to the torque con. to flexplate bolts. i got one but cant rotate the crank to get to the others something must be off but i just cant figure it out. seems like something is in a bind but i have no idea what. any thoughts?
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

you can't turn the flywheel to get the torque con because of the compression in the engine, you can turn it over, but it takes alot

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

if theres spark plugs in it try taking them out to turn it over with a 1/2 socket wrench in the crank pulley it should fit right in that square hole.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

Quote Originally Posted by reiketsutsukigami View Post
    if theres spark plugs in it try taking them out to turn it over with a 1/2 socket wrench in the crank pulley it should fit right in that square hole.
    +1
    yep, that would be your answer

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

ok guys thanks for the info ill try it all in the morning. i think i just got tired and frustrated today so i started trippin...
    thanks for the help
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

be carefull if you have an auto tranny make sure the torque converter is seated right or it will bind on the tranny and you wont be able to spin the flexplate.. I have done it its not good.
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Did you ever pull the torque converter out or move it at all? If the torque converter isnt seated into the shaft on the tranny properly, you forcing it together will cause permanent damage to the tranny. With the engine out and torque converter installed, the torque converter should sit about 1/2" inward of the face of the bell housing. If its more like flush, its not seated all the way. Definitely pull the plugs, it makes turning the engine so much easier.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

never removed the torque converter but i pushed it in a little before i dropped the motor to make sure it was seated it was about 1/2" deep into the trans. so removing the plugs makes it easier to turn huh i didnt think that mattered.

thanks Stewi and Johnathan

after some rest ill look at things again in the morning and see what is going on.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Good luck!
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

turns out the torque converter was not all the way seated... i spun it while pushing and it slide in a tad more.

got it all together, well the motor and tranny at least, still have to connect the wires and hoses add fluids etc. Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciated.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

Quote Originally Posted by dGALANTc View Post
    turns out the torque converter was not all the way seated... i spun it while pushing and it slide in a tad more.

got it all together, well the motor and tranny at least, still have to connect the wires and hoses add fluids etc. Thanks for the help guys. Really appreciated.
    a hah!!!!

I knew it probably wasn't seated all the way, it happens all the time!!!

glad you got it worked out.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    a hah!!!!

I knew it probably wasn't seated all the way, it happens all the time!!!

glad you got it worked out.
    yea i thought it was in though so it was driving me Crazy... but i was tired and so on and just made a small mistake. Thanks again guys!
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

No prob man, we've all been there. I've done that on an 8g at least twice.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

got all the wires connected but the motor i have has a knock sensor and unless im missing something my harness has no plug for it. i have no idea what to do with the spot. can i just leave it unplugged? my engine came from an 02 stratus. what to do?
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast