The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to stay street legal with performance modification?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 30

How to stay street legal with performance modification?

I'm ready to get some serious engine work going, which is mainly putting Eclipse's transmission, Evo VIII's turbo, and DOHC head in the 8th Gen. Galant.

I live in Connecticut, where, of course, most of people modify their cars and screw the DMV. I, however, am a lawful person and want to stay street legal.

Are there anybody who are experienced in street legal modification and would you please give me some advices to make the car legal?

I checked Connecticut laws (http://www.liftlaws.com/connecticut_lift_laws.htm), and it seems I only need to take an emission test. Is that true, even with a whole bunch of modifications including an used Evo's turbo?

Thank you very much for helping!

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    It is unclear whether or not Connecticut has any engine swap or engine performance modification rules.
    I would check with the DMV.

will you be obeying the speed limit after u turbo it??? jw law abiding citizen

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Talk to some local tuners in your area & see what they know. Or talk to your Smog official or Highway Patrol to find out whats legal and what isnt. The Highway Patrol may have a booklet/brochure on whats legal and whats not. I remember seeing one in my state before. IIRC usually anything that involves eliminating/modifying any part of your emissions system is illegal; because you will then pollute more than factory specs...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by joegalant View Post
    LOL good point

Quote Originally Posted by joegalant View Post
    Hehe. Seriously I'm thinking about these problems. I'm even planning to go back to the driving school twice every year. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Serbj View Post
    Hehe. Seriously I'm thinking about these problems. I'm even planning to go back to the driving school twice every year. Any other suggestions?
    Go back to the driving school twice a year? Sorry but that sounds like an utter waste of time. How about just remember the laws of the road the first time :)

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    Go back to the driving school twice a year? Sorry but that sounds like an utter waste of time. How about just remember the laws of the road the first time :)
    Like to prepare a knife and cut myself every time when I forget the laws? Haha I literally know some friends doing that to keep themselves controlled, but they are trying to control themselves to stay away from something like drugs...

I can literally do this too, to control myself to stay within the laws.
    Last edited by Serbj; 04-06-2011 at 09:02 PM

As long as they dont do visual engine check and you pass emissions youre good
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

for real??????????????????????????????????

You are here entirely tooo much!! 99 galant's Avatar
    Well I don't have any performance mods, but I too live in CT and know plenty of cars that pass every time with mods

I'm sorry, why are you going to go to driving school again? Learn right, drive right, whats the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by 99 galant View Post
    Well I don't have any performance mods, but I too live in CT and know plenty of cars that pass every time with mods

I'm sorry, why are you going to go to driving school again? Learn right, drive right, whats the issue?
    Hehe, that's just random chatting with joegalant, because he asked whether I will obey the road rules.

You mean, I don't have to notify the DMV for any of the mods at all?

Send a PM to GalantTuner10. He lives in CT too. But I don't think so

Hehe, that's just random chatting with joegalant, because he asked whether I will obey the road rules.

You mean, I don't have to notify the DMV for any of the mods at all?
    honestly ive never heard of notifying the dmv of mods i wouldn't bother even if u should bc ur insurance will probably go up if u tell them its turbo'd

I would agree with that.

as long as you pass emissions, you should be street legal in CT

Thanks a lot guys! I really can't find anywhere else that can help me as much as here. <3 you all :D

I talked to some local tuners today. It seems that Connecticut has very modified-car-friendly laws. I only need to be sure that all required smog components are installed and to take emission tests every two years.

Rejoice, tuners in Connecticut!

just never move to CA. litterally you cant do anything without getting yourself in trouble. you cant even put a cone filter on without it being certified by the CA air resource board, and those cost to much and are to hard to find.

if anyone knows how to turbo legally in CA hit me up, cus im still at a loss for figuring that one out

just make it look and pretend its stock^^ lol
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast