The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Want a new engine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 42
    Girly95Galant

Want a new engine

i have a 95 galant es and i want to do a motor swap but i wanted to see if anyone had any advice on what would be the best engine to put in my car...im looking to change the transmission from an auto to a manual and put a turbo or supercharger on the new engine. i definately dont want another 4 cylinder though.. I dont know much about this stuff so any advice would be appreciated!! thanks

Heather

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    no 4cyl? i beg to differ...

go find yourself a nice 90-94 eclipse/talon/laser with a 4g63t engine and 5spd tranny. craig has a 4g63t engine from a 91 talon tsi and he is running low 14s untuned and pretty much bone stock
    7g for life!

there is no direct engine that would fit the galant other than the 4g63t thats available in the US that is.....best bet would get 4g63t (eclipse GS-t engine) and modify that, 4 cylinder engine, i seen modded to about 600hp at most....have fun

Experienced TGC Member
    I betcha you could get the v6 8g engine into the 7g. Wont be a direct bolt in thing but what do you expect going from 4 to 6cyl.

But Id bet it fits in there nice.. our engine bay is really empty
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Girly95Galant
    thanks guys..do you have any suggestions on were i should start to look for them at?

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Girly95Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks guys..do you have any suggestions on were i should start to look for them at?</div>

Just bring the car to me, and stuff the trunk with cash. It'll be plenty fast when I'm done with it

But, Just do a google search for "Japanese import engines" Find an importer that looks good and they can get you an Eclipse/Lancer engine. Price is gonna be about $3-4k depending on condition of the engine. Although, you could also go junkyard diving. There were approximately enough 4g63t's for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. to own three of them so it shouldn't be too tough to find one. Oh, and you're gonna have to get a FWD transmission unless you want to convert your car to AWD while you're at it. Those are a little more rare, but if you want a manual anyway, they can be gotten from a yard and rebuilt. A Galant 5 speed will work, but the Eclipse one is slightly more desirable. Or, you could just turbocharge the engine you have now. It'll get you around 300 hp on the stock internals, which is all you need for a street car anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kain)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Girly95Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks guys..do you have any suggestions on were i should start to look for them at?</div>

Just bring the car to me, and stuff the trunk with cash. It'll be plenty fast when I'm done with it

But, Just do a google search for "Japanese import engines" Find an importer that looks good and they can get you an Eclipse/Lancer engine. Price is gonna be about $3-4k depending on condition of the engine. Although, you could also go junkyard diving. There were approximately enough 4g63t's for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. to own three of them so it shouldn't be too tough to find one. Oh, and you're gonna have to get a FWD transmission unless you want to convert your car to AWD while you're at it. Those are a little more rare, but if you want a manual anyway, they can be gotten from a yard and rebuilt. A Galant 5 speed will work, but the Eclipse one is slightly more desirable. Or, you could just turbocharge the engine you have now. It'll get you around 300 hp on the stock internals, which is all you need for a street car anyway.
    </div>

haha scott... you have NO idea.. how Close I am to offering a Similar Service.

when I get back To MA.. I'm applying for a mortgage.
    if I can, I'm buying a house w/ a 2-car garage.. and I'm building turbo galants for fun.!!

of course... it's a big "maybe"
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

how much are we looking at if we go to the junk yard and buy the engine, parts and other accesories including labor too??? with trann...close to 5k???
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Kain
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>how much are we looking at if we go to the junk yard and buy the engine, parts and other accesories including labor too??? Â* with trann...close to 5k???</div>

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Don't ever just "drop in" a junkyard motor. You're just asking for trouble. With a transmission, you can sometimes get away with a junkyard dog, but it's always best if you can hear the motor run/drive the car before your parts are pulled off of it. Actually, to do a full motor/transmission swap for parts + labor, you're looking at much closer to $8k done right. That's for a low milage engine, good transmission, all new clutch, PP, TOB, machine work, new fluids all around, labor, and incidentals. $5k would be more realistic if you were doing the labor yourself. But, than again it just depends on how you shop too. The motor I'm in the process of building now has a budget of $2,500 and I'm looking to clear that with a couple hundred to spare.

Girly95Galant
    so basically my engine is going to cost more than my car is worth? do you think it would be a waste of time to fix up my engine with a 100k on it? and can i just change the transmission from a auto to a manual or do i have to change it all.

Moosh
    You can change to manual from automatic with the same engine. Adding a turbo to your Galant is possible, but if you do not know much about them you are going to have to start doing a lot of research because you have to know what you are getting yourself into. NOS is another option that would be easier to install but it has its negative points too.

i can turbo the 4g64 right... wouldnt that be cheaper??? well maybe i should save for a supercharger....
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Girly95Galant
    k thanks :winky:

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>i can turbo the 4g64 right... wouldnt that be cheaper??? well maybe i should save for a supercharger....</div>+

Search for info on turboing the '64. SC? I *think* RIPPS may be making one, but I'm not sure. If they do it will be somewhere around $3500.
    Chris
    2004 Mazda 3i; bought 7/2/04
    98 Galant ES; Sold 6/30/04

I have a silly question, as I often do, and its about the old 2.6 engine.
    Is that engine a bored and stroked 2.4 or is it an all different block?
    Do any2.0 or 2.4 heads fit on the 2.6?
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

"You can change to manual from automatic with the same engine"

Wow Moosh, how much work would be? To me it sounds like an ungodly ammount.

get a donor car for like $500 and do it urself, 5 speed swaps are fun

NYC TRINI, I BET THEY'RE FUN!
    But how difficult is it? And why do you need a donor car, can't you just get a trany?
    And even though I am getting sucked into this hobby deeper every day I don't think I'm gona go that far, but I'm just curious...do you know of a web site that shows how some of this is done ?
    Thanks

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/autotomanual.html
    this is for a 1g DSM but its basically the same....u dont really need a donor car but with all the parts u would want, i;ll get a donor car with a 5 speed DOHC and a turbo so i can do all my swaps in one

Oh man I went to that site, and the swap looks just easy enough to try and just hard enought to get in trouble, (I'm good at that).
    NYC Triny you are dangerous

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast