The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bluetooth head unit or cheap carputer?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Icon5 Bluetooth head unit or cheap carputer?

The wifey got a new (to us) Subaru Forester a few weeks ago. She needed a stereo in it so I pushed her to install something with bluetooth calling for the added safety. Now she insists that I need to put a bluetooth unit in my car too.

I've been looking at bluetooth (and iPod) capable units but can't pick one I want. I'm also toying with just building a cheap carputer and adding bluetooth to it (not sure if the calling thing works, I haven't looked much yet) plus GPS. The nice thing with the 'puter is that I'd also be able to use it for tuning and displaying extra gauges if I do it right.

I saw some people have put together some expensive carputer units but I don't want a $700+ glorified head unit in my car. Anyone got ideas?

If I don't do the 'puter I will be putting in a new head unit. I'm thinking $300 or less. Any thoughts on that? I never use CD's but use the iPod in car constantly.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Go to Crutchfield.com and take a look around at the head units to get an idea of price and what you'd like. I'd recommend Pioneer, specifically the DEH-7300BT model.

You cant do a computee/tablet in the dash without it being expensive. To me its sounds like what you need is a double din deck with ipod, bluetooth and gps built in. But they come with a price and cheapest but still quality unit that does all three would be something like the Sony XNV-660 or 770, only difference is screen size, 6.1 inch vs. 7".
    I have personally worked these for customers of all ages from early 20's to retired folk. All very pleased with it.

See here

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...c&in_stock=yes
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 11-26-2011 at 09:07 PM

Wow, you guys dug up an old thread. I already built and installed a carputer this summer and then ripped it back out again after deciding it was more trouble than it was worth. The user interfaces all sucked and a 7" screen is just too small when it is low in the dash like the 7g stereo.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

I did not see, lol! I just say the date on above poster and went from there.