The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: motor swap question

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

motor swap question

Hello guys, new to the site..... got a question hopefully you guys can help....

So my dad bought a 96 galant motor was bad.. so they gave him a 95 and he noticed that it didnt have a map sensor on the manifold... the guy said it wont matter couse the 96 that we had didnt have a connection for the map sensor anyway???? so he swaps the motor along with the distributor and something with the crank angle sensor or something like that and the car runs like crap.. it revs up then bogs ..??? any ideas on anything

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    put the crank sensor from the 96 on the 95 motor and put the 96 distributor on it as the 95 has the crank sensor in the distributor. see what that does then let us know
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

We did that already and the car idles but when u rev it up it bogs

Ur in waterbury huh I live in hartford lol

Another thing I don't get is that wen we got the car the 96 motor didn't have a connection for the map sensor????? Is that normal that the map sensor was just on the manifold not connected?

ive seen a few without that connection, but they have another sensor type for it i believe. the intake manis should be indentical besides the map sensor, but im not sure what the other ones have besides the map sensor, and that could be your issue.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

are you sure it a 96 and not 97. only 97-98 have the emissions free ecu and harness and thats just for some of them.

if its a 96, it has to have the plug for the mdp sensor. look under the intake manifold, or the plug is tucked away somerewhere
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

MKO, i saw the other day a 97 with no emissions stuff but cali spec? no MDP sensor but cali emissions? doesnt make sense to me
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

yes, only Cali specs were like that for some reason. I know AllRice's galant is like that
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Mdp shouldnt have a affect on how the engine runs. When he swapped the crank sensor did he take the timing belt off? For that matter did he touch any of the timing components? Are the spark plug wires in the correct firing order? DID you do a tune up or at least swap the spark plugs and what not from the old engine over? spark plugs,wires,fuel pressure regulator etc....
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)