The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wet floorboard?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Wet floorboard?

I took a trip 2 Austin this weekend wit the a/c on and noticed my driver side floorboard was soaked. And by the time i got back i had a puddle in the rear driver-side floorboard. Any suggestions. Ive had the "heater" core go out on a couple vehicles and this happened in the passenger side but not like this.

If it's water, then the evaporator drain pipe is either clogged, or the rubber fitting is missing.

If its antifreeze like, then the heater core is leaking.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

Its water. Is the evap. behind the dash?

Yeah, but the drain tube comes out through the firewall right behind the rear motor mount.
    -Andrew

Thanks, ima look into fixin that 2morrow.

It's hard to see from up top, but if you feel down there and it's just a tube coming straight out, then you are missing the rubber fitting, and that's your problem. Lemme know if you need any help.
    -Andrew

I had that same problem when I took a trip to Austin too. Drainage piping was working fine but the water was trickling around then seeping through where the rubber grommet meets the floorboard thus giving it the wet floorboard treatment. I had to buy 10 inch long rubber hose afrom Home depot and insert it into the drainage pipe. This happened 3 years ago and still no problems since. :)

I remember this problem when I had my G. It is a simple fix. Where the A/C evaporation line exits the firewall, there is foam insulation around the line. When the water comes out the drain, if the rubber elbow is missing then the water will drain back along the tube and through the foam insulation. The fix is to get down there with some clear silicone and paste it around the drain line. Put it on really thick but take care not to get it into the drain line. Once you get it done, let it cure over night and you will be set. It worked like a charm and never leaked again. My car would flood so badly in the summer that I would have to leave my windows partly down and the floor mat on the drivers side pulled up so that it dried. If I did not do that then the water would cause an awful smell, that would not go away from the mold.

another cuprit is that leaves and organic debris actually do get around the screening of the external blower fan air intake(located in the windshield wiper well)
    small leaves get sucked in there, then get screened by the a/c core. ll of that debris collects in the bottom of the assembly and literally clogs your drain line.

The only way to fix it for the long time is to get down in there and clean it completely out. Short term fix is to ream the drain tube from underneath of the car with a wire coat hanger until the water drains out.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

someone online clued me into PCV ELBOW at autozone: part # 47028 for a Chrysler. It's about a half inch in diameter and fits perfectly. guides the water downward preventing it from running back in through the firewall. I tried it it fit perfect and took no time to do. I just have to wait til the carpet dries to know if it worked for sure.