The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Balance shaft question

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Balance shaft question

Okay guys, so last night my alternator, which is cracked all to hell from the previous owner's accident, finally completely seized, throwing the serpentine belt. It lasted 20,000 miles in that condition, which is more than I could've asked for.

I ordered a new alternator online, but it won't be in until Tuesday or Wednesday. This gives me the perfect opportunity to delete that balance shaft, as I'll have 4 days to do it.

Question: Do you really have to pull the engine to remove the balance shaft in one piece?? Could I just remove 3 of the engine mounts, support the engine on jack stands, and lower the engine a LOT, until the shaft clears the subframe? (I only ask because my only other option is a hacksaw
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

1997 Galant ES with '94-95 style front end and '97 style rear

you can do that, but dont forget the crossmember . Anything works, if you have a grinder with a cut off wheel will do just fine
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    If you get the motor on a good tilt yes you can do it that way. Remember that there are two balance shafts. Do you have the lil kit to cover the one open hole and the stubby balance shaft to replace the masive one in the engine?

Evo 8 ECU / 5 Speed Swap / Fully Built Forged Motor
    Turbonetics Turbo T31 Stage 3 / RPW Stage 3 Camshaft

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    If you get the motor on a good tilt yes you can do it that way. Remember that there are two balance shafts. Do you have the lil kit to cover the one open hole and the stubby balance shaft to replace the masive one in the engine?
    I'm probably just going to leave the belt-driven balance shaft in the engine. As for the BS driven by the oil pump, I ordered the stubby directly from the Mits dealer about 2 weeks ago. All I gotta do is go pick up the oil pump gasket from advance auto and I'll be ready to start the project!
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Experienced TGC Member
    there is no way in hell i would ever attempt to remove the balance shafts with the engine in the car. Its best to remove the engine and do it the less painful way which is still a bitch to get those bearings in. Ive done it to two engines and im speaking from experience (not saying the other guys arent). A bunch of guys chime in by hear say and we all know how that works out.

I would not want to do it laying on my back with oil dripping on my face. It only takes afew hours to take the engine out and rest of job will go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    there is no way in hell i would ever attempt to remove the balance shafts with the engine in the car. Its best to remove the engine and do it the less painful way which is still a bitch to get those bearings in. Ive done it to two engines and im speaking from experience (not saying the other guys arent). A bunch of guys chime in by hear say and we all know how that works out.
    Tomorrow I start work on the delete. I am following a HOW-TO via this guide:
    http://vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html
    (It's for a 4G63 engine but I believe the procedure should be the same)

I have never attempted this procedure before, but based on what I've read, below is what I know so far, in slightly random order. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, as you know more about this than I do:

I shouldn't have to replace any balance shaft bearings at all, since the front BS is staying in, and will remain stationary. Since the rear BS bearings don't have oil holes drilled into them, it isn't necessary for me to have to remove them either. To remove the oil pump assembly, I must remove the front balance shaft sprocket first. I'll then need to remove the oil pan in order to disconnect the oil pick up tube, so that I can remove the inner oil pump BS gear housing.

That's pretty much it, the FAQ says to lower the engine to remove the shafts, and that's what I'm going to do (don't have access to engine hoist), and it'll save me some time anyway. Plus I've never pulled an engine before, and I don't exactly trust myself to do so competently.

Once all that's done, I prime the oil pump with grease, slap everything back together with new gaskets, and I should be done. Do I have an accurate picture here of what I'll be dealing with, based on the slightly random steps I outlined?
    Last edited by mygalantwasfree; 04-18-2011 at 02:35 AM

Experienced TGC Member
    I think i remember reading somewhere that its not good to leave that balance shaft in the engine but IDK. I took mine out, got new bearings and put them in with the holes blocked. I did however eventually wind up porting my oil filter housing because i went turbo and didnt want that extra pressure to blow out my turbo seals. Seems like youre on the right track. That motor will need a good bit of tilt to get that oil pump housing off of there but i guess its possible. Post pics and questions, good luck!

Mission accomplished!!! Old balance shaft is out, new stubby is in.

The engine clearance problem really wasn't a problem at all. I only had to take out the one engine mount by the timing belt. As I pulled out the oil pump, I rotated it 90 degrees so that the short part was passing underneath the subframe. Came right out, no troubles!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

One question though: As the oil pump came out, all of the bolts sort of fell out and now I'm not exactly sure where they go, since a couple of them are different sizes. Anyone have a diagram of this?

i did it that same way thing is engine was making a ound so i had remove the other sides shaft too