The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: couple questions during head gasket job

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

couple questions during head gasket job

ok if this has been covered before i am sorry for the repost i havent seen it in the searching i did so far, but i am still looking. with that said here is the questions, i am doing gasket job and got everything apart as planned, but i found that the previous owner must not mave done regular oil changes : (. so in turn i have some sludge not much but enough to want to clean it up before i reassemble everything. now here are my two options, 1. is a shop down the road from me will clean it and check it for 50 bucks (extra 20 if it needs to be milled). 2. is i can do it myself save money (because i am broke), but i dont know what to use to clean it with ( i do however can check for warpadge i have tools and knowledge of that). so the main question is what would you suggest i do (keep in mind i am short on cash lately hours at work has been cut). or would it just be easyer to do a motor swap, and have a spare to start cleaning/building on old motor for future turbo project ? here is a couple of pics of the sludge i was talking of sorry if it is hard to see lighting in garage isnt good plus it is cellphone pics : ( thinks in advance for any help provided.
    [

Last edited by djhah; 04-21-2011 at 06:12 PM

i for got to mention in case it matters i am at 143,xxx miles on motor.

call me hah i pm-d u my number , i gotta see this
    clickity clack & boom in the back , 99 Glant

well if your short on cash rule out the motor swap that can get expensive if you want a good motor... not only that you know what the inside of yours looks like now. the other you will have no idea what is going on in there..

as for the cleaning 50 buck is actually pretty good as most shops charge 60 just to diagnose a car. im not sure what to use to clean it but if it was me i would ask the shop what they use to clean it and just do it myself...lol
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

Quote Originally Posted by dGALANTc View Post
    well if your short on cash rule out the motor swap that can get expensive if you want a good motor... not only that you know what the inside of yours looks like now. the other you will have no idea what is going on in there..

as for the cleaning 50 buck is actually pretty good as most shops charge 60 just to diagnose a car. im not sure what to use to clean it but if it was me i would ask the shop what they use to clean it and just do it myself...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnbumpn View Post
    call me hah i pm-d u my number , i gotta see this
    q i got your pm i just was thinking of calling you today, lol. and dgalantc good idea on asking shop what they use i have not thought that yet. thinks : )

After all this time I am finally finishing this ill have the galant back, let's pray it will start! Wish me luck I am starting bright and early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by djhah View Post
    After all this time I am finally finishing this ill have the galant back, let's pray it will start! Wish me luck I am starting bright and early in the morning.

So.....did it start? :-)

Scott

Yes I just have to do some adjusting to lower the iddeal, but once the fuel was primed it started right up. It just runs at a high rpm (2000 to be exact). I am so happy I was afraid it wouldn't run after sitting for over a year XD

Carb or brake parts cleaner. Use it to liquefy and rinse as much out of the head as possible then once done I would be doing a couple extra changes maybe try some seafoam.

Quote Originally Posted by troubled4g64t View Post
    Carb or brake parts cleaner. Use it to liquefy and rinse as much out of the head as possible then once done I would be doing a couple extra changes maybe try some seafoam.
    ??????

When I looked at your post on the first page, it said "couple questions during head..." I was intrigued to say the least. Anyway, glad to hear that it's running again. I have a G that's been sitting for 6 years, and after all I've done to it, it won't run, so I'm going to replace the head gaskets and see if it helps...

Sounds like that would be something to try. Or you could just find a new motor for cheep since it has been sittling for so long? I thought about that route but I needed to get it running quick my other ride threw tb and bent some valves :(