The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 28 mpg on Mobil #87

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

28 mpg on Mobil #87

I've been thinking how this happened. Originally the car has always been giving 22 mpg, as my driving style is quite constant. After my first tank of Mobil, the car start stably giving 28 mpg on Mobil gas. (I'm not promoting Mobil!!)

Probably because Mobil gas has some injector / valve cleaner that removed certain deposits on the injector / intake valves???

Fluke? Run another couple tanks through and see what you get and run a couple tanks of something else through and compare. I say its a fluke

Fluke.. Most likely. On mobil 87 I still get usually 21.

I dont think it has anything to do with their gas. I just think your driving has changed slightly without you noticing it. Less throttle from take off, lower RPMs during highway, etc. Like every one said, give it a few more tanks of gas and tell us what happens.

Now it's stabilizing at around 27 mpg hwy, around 24 mpg combined (I never spent a full tank of gas in the city). My foot has actually become heavier recently, lol.

The first week or two after I purchased the car, it's 22 mpg combined. I think there has to be some problems with it at that time. Something like deposit on the intake valves, and my heavy foot blew them away

i average 25mpg and i drive 60miles to and from work total doing an average speed of 50mph

Is the mobile station you are buying from new?

There is little effect from the additives the gas companies add. They add 1oz per 8000 gallons at the station before it is pumped into the tanks. The gas you buy from mobile comes from the same tanks as bp, citgo, speedway..... all of them are the same besides what they add before it goes into the underground holding tank.

The biggest things that matter are how new the gas station is and how many people buy from that station. If the tanks are new there will be no crap ie rust and other setimates that older tanks have in them.

So if you are buying from a "NEW" mobile station in town then this will explain why your gas mileage has gone up so much.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

I used to get about 21 combined when I would get on the gas but with prices going up I've had to change my driving style. Now I get 28 combined!!!

1999 ES 4cyl

I get 22 on straight city driving and around 26 27 on all highway, due to the thin mountain air my mileage isnt as good as it was when i was at sea level, there on striccyl highway i was getting betwen 29 and 31

I get 24 in city and about 30 on highway. Tested at least 10 times for city and highway.

Oh and that's 87 octane at loaf n jug

my car runs like crap when i put 87 into it so i have to run at least 89 to get it to run right