The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is it a good a idea to keep speedometer stock after mods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32

Icon5 Is it a good a idea to keep speedometer stock after mods?

I'm planning to install an independent digital speedometer to show a more accurate reading and the readings higher than the stock one's limit. It may be something like this:

or a head-up display:

While making it doesn't seem to be a problem, I'm wondering if going faster than 200 mph will damage the stock speedometer, since the speedometers on Galants appear to be Eddy current devices.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Serbj; 04-22-2011 at 12:20 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    you want to go faster than 200mph? Do you have ANY idea how fast that is?

you have to be joking..
    First you say you want to keep your car street legal, because you are a lawful man.
    Then you say you go trespassing on parking lots to practice auto-x, with which you use cheap tires (something you shouldn't skimp on)
    Now you say you want to go over 200mph?

holy hell.. sorry but this is finally where I cave

PS: the stock speedometer only goes to 120mph

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    you want to go faster than 200mph? Do you have ANY idea how fast that is?

you have to be joking..
    First you say you want to keep your car street legal, because you are a lawful man.
    Then you say you go trespassing on parking lots to practice auto-x, with which you use cheap tires (something you shouldn't skimp on)
    Now you say you want to go over 200mph?

holy hell.. sorry but this is finally where I cave

PS: the stock speedometer only goes to 120mph
    That's a typo, my brain was dead just now. It should be 120 mph

First the car is street legal.
    Second I was not trespassing the parking lot. I'm a paid patron there and I know the owners.
    And I check the tires on a regular basis. They are not even wearing out significantly faster than usual, as I don't do ass dragging at a high speed.

Thank you for your understanding.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    okay, here's some questions:

Where are you going to be exceeding 120mph?
    Why will you be exceeding 120mph?
    Do you even have the supporting mods to surpass 120mph?
    WILL you have the supporting mods to surpass 120mph?

Are you aware that the car is speed limited at around 120mph?

I've got a 4G63 DOHC head, ECU, turbo, and some other parts from an Evo 8, as well as aftermarket studs, gaskets, clutch, intercooler, EBC related stuff, etc. and currently they are resting in the garage. I'm waiting for a used transmission from Eclipse and some other minor parts which are going to arrive next week.

I came across this problem because I want to test the car a little bit on a track after the work is done. Certain the GPS is great way to read speed, but the GPS's screen display for speed is too small to read.

I hope I didn't insult you by this question. I don't mean to insult anyone with this question.
    Last edited by Serbj; 04-22-2011 at 12:35 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Serbj View Post
    That's a typo, my brain was dead just now. It should be 120 mph
    If beam514 hadn't mentioned it on post #2 you'd probably assume it's okay to post 200 m.ph. and carried on with this conversation.

I can spot ninja edits from far away and most of time it's for good intention but your post(s) has issues....

What I mean is how to deal with reading a speed higher than the stock speedometer's limit. I don't mean to show off that I can go 120 or 200 or whatever a high speed. If it's for that kind of purposes, a forged (PS'ed) photo will do better.

I'm sorry if lacking of the concept of "200 mph" looks stupid or insulting.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Let me ask this. Where do you intend on getting above 120mph on the track? Certainly not in auto cross, in road racing you can get up to that type of speed on the main straight away, but why would it matter? All that matters with stuff like that is lap times. The factory speedo needle will go past the 120mph mark, I know from experience. You can get that thing all the way down into the odometer if your car can handle it. : )

Stop over thinking everything and put the car together and then address problems as they arise, if not, your gonna buy a bunch of stuff you dont need, be broke, disappointed and end up selling the car. It always happens. Just stick to the basics first.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

if you are doing 200mph in your galant then the speedometer is the last thing you have to worry about.

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    Let me ask this. Where do you intend on getting above 120mph on the track? Certainly not in auto cross, in road racing you can get up to that type of speed on the main straight away, but why would it matter? All that matters with stuff like that is lap times. The factory speedo needle will go past the 120mph mark, I know from experience. You can get that thing all the way down into the odometer if your car can handle it. : )

Stop over thinking everything and put the car together and then address problems as they arise, if not, your gonna buy a bunch of stuff you dont need, be broke, disappointed and end up selling the car. It always happens. Just stick to the basics first.
    Vouch for stewi, I've gone past the 120 mark couple of times. If anything, moving forwards with the topic. I personally like others recommend doing your engine and putting the major components together for your setup before worrying about minor concepts like speedometer as well. I do praise you for thinking big and sorta doing your research.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

I would worry about the speedometer last....there are other more important things to worry about like making sure your car is safe to even go that fast to begin with. Cage, the right tires and things like that should be a priority. Im not even going to ask where you are going this fast because I am sure since you are a responsibly person you are doing this on a track where they have traps to tell you how fast you are going anyway

If you wana go this fast I recommend getting a roll cage, 8 point belt and don't have ANY passengers. Your talking about 200mph. McLaren F1 only had 240mph and it had that limit for a Long time. How will you get your galant to go that fast caus I want to do the same thing.

You'll be with these http://www.squidoo.com/200_mph_club

If i was wanting 200+ i would go with the bugatti, lol. At least if i were to wreck i would die happy. : )

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    If beam514 hadn't mentioned it on post #2 you'd probably assume it's okay to post 200 m.ph. and carried on with this conversation.

I can spot ninja edits from far away and most of time it's for good intention but your post(s) has issues....

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax View Post
    if you are doing 200mph in your galant then the speedometer is the last thing you have to worry about.
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

this is going to go bad... real fast.. go to a track buddy... and get a cage... going that fast on the street is auto arrest.. was in a kids eclipse goin 130 racing a civic a few years back.. we tried to dip but eventually pulled ove.. they just ripped him and I out of car and started reading us our rights... except before the got the second cuff link on the officer recognized the driver and let us go... not a fun experience.. ever since then.. not only have i not been in a car that's racing illegaly.. but i have not raced on the street... be safe.. get a roll cage.. get GOOD TIRES.. and go to a track for your safety and everyone elses...

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

Quote Originally Posted by Serbj View Post
    I'm planning to install an independent digital speedometer to show a more accurate reading and the readings higher than the stock one's limit. It may be something like this:

or a head-up display:

While making it doesn't seem to be a problem, I'm wondering if going faster than 200 mph will damage the stock speedometer, since the speedometers on Galants appear to be Eddy current devices.

Any ideas?
    btw... sick overhead...(hud) i want this.. pretty bad.. come stock in the newer camaros... they pricey? anyone know?

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

but yea.. i wish our cars went over 200.. haha... thatd be pretty shweet.. just be like.. yea.. uhuh...
    o btw.. i think they have some compatibly clusters that go to 140 or 160 i think... i think my old one was 140... not sure.. but i know they exist somewhere.. if i run into em again i'll post

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

Quote Originally Posted by bobmundo123 View Post
    btw... sick overhead...(hud) i want this.. pretty bad.. come stock in the newer camaros... they pricey? anyone know?
    i have heads up display speedo/tach (VSD CONCEPT). it was about $350 but i'm not sure they even make them anymore. here u go:

click the pic above for the video.

btw, it reads from 0-240mph and 0-9500rpm... so i guess if my car could reach 200mph+ it would let me know.
    Last edited by Reelax; 04-23-2011 at 04:34 PM

that is gorgeous... much better looking then just the numbers.. very nice... im gonna be looking for that everywhere now

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast