The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ok...wtf?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

Ok...wtf?

So I finally tried to put me shit back together. The head unit is all wired up the way it was before...but now if the car is on auxilary power...no problem. I get sound out of the speakers and all is well. When I turn the car on however....there is NO SOUND! WTF? Any ideas?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

TGC Regular
    Your fuse on the left side of your dash.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

i'll double check but I am pretty sure all my fuses are good. I will check tomorrow I guess

TGC Regular
    If it comes on when your key is on AUX then its useing the power from one side. So it cant be the head unit or the battery. It has to be either the fuse for the second line or you wired it wrong.

well I didnt wire it, it was installed professionaly and worked perfectly for about a year or so. Then some asshole tried to steal it and cut a hole bunch of wires. I traced the wires, matched the colors and cleaned things up ...so I am almost 100% sure its not the wiring. So as I said, I will check the fuses tomorrow

quick question, since I am running an aftermarket stereo as well as aftermarket speakers...can I run a larger amp fuse? So the stock fuse for the radio is 15 amps, can I run like 25 amps in there and be kosher? It is my understanding that the fuse regulates the power coming through and if there is a surge it pops. So if I am running a 15 and it surges to 20 then it would pop, but if I had a 25 it would be cool....right? Can someone shed some light here

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    You could be able to run a slightly bigger fuse, but it is not recommended at all to go much higher because the fuse will not do what they are designed to do at a certain amperage. I personally wouldn't go any higher than a 25. Otherwise, if you have a surge or whatever, shit will get real. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

well yeah, I was only gonna go to a 20 amp fuse. I think that would help some of my issues with the stereo cutting out as well. Ever since I put the new speakers in (not amped yet) the head unit cuts off at louder volumes. So I figure a stronger fuse should help until I can get the amps in

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    thats not the problem do u have a oem amp that ur not aware of or could be ur speaker are to weak for ur head unit
    03 I4

TGC Regular
    just put the fuse what the amp requires.

there is no amp right now. The speakers are more powerful than the head unit so I think that it draws too much power and the head unit's fail safe kicks in and shuts itself off if the volume is too high. I'm gonna try the fuse thing to see if that helps and go from there...I dont have the time to install an amp right now.

The fuse doesn't regulate the amperage. All a fuse does is protects the system. Putting a bigger fuse in won't help you accomplish what you are trying to do

well the fuse may cure only one of my problems. AD said I needed to check the fuse in the kick panel, and if that keeps blowing I may need a stonger ampage. Right now when I turn the car over the radio doesnt play any sound...so he thinks it that fuse. As far as it cutting off when I turn the sound up...I thiknk I just need to spend a day and wire up my amps again

TGC Regular
    What exactly is your setup? or trying to setup?

20amp is actualy alot. if the radio is not like close to 240watts this will be way too big of a fuse. If you only have aftermarket stereo and speakers changing the fuse does not matter.

My issue is that when the car is on auxilary, there is sound coming out of the speakers and all. When I turn the car on, the head unit comes on but there is no sound at all. That is my issue. I have amps that will be installed at a later time, for now I just want some music and right now for some reason I cant listen to it while I am driving.

Simple and quick way would be to wire it away from the keyswitch and put your own switch to turn power on to it so it will not be linked to your "car". Then you can turn it on and off even if the key is not in the switch and than I would recommend to put a fuse to protect it.

both my 12v supply and ignition are drawn from the cigaratte lighter cables...

So I tracerd everything and its all connected properly from what I can see. There is no fuse that deals with the stereo in the kick panel and the fuse in the engine bay is fine. I am still having the same problem...when the car is on auxilary the stereo works fine....when the car is running, it powers up and works fine...just no sound whatsoever. Now I am really at a loss....might just take it to a stereo shop and ask them to look at it, unless someone has an epiphany soon

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    I would double check ur wires first

http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-ster...ubishi-galant/

there's a column on the right side of the page just in case i got the wrong car year
    03 I4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast