The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Yes another grinding/metal noise lol

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Yes another grinding/metal noise lol

Ive searched the forums and actually found something that sounds like my problem with 1 small difference. Ac Compressor In this post turning on the AC made the noise worse/louder..well in my car 94 galant btw i hear a loud noise from first starting the car(in park), driving etc But...when i turn the AC on the noise goes away. I can flip the fan setting from 0 to 1 with ac button engaged and actually hear the noise start/stop while driving or parked. Kinda confused i thought the AC pulley/belt or compressor might be going but wouldnt turning the ac on make it worse not better? IF anyone has any ideas would apprecaite it, Thanks and Happy Easter!

it sounds like it could possibly be the torque converter in the transmission,or the starter might be making the sound when it is hitting the flywheel.

a/c tensioner pully? it could be the pulley bearing on compressor, when its freewheelin its noisy but when the compressor clutch engages its under a load , im just thinkin its sumthing to do with a/c compressor pulley/clutch, if u really wanted to get invovlved u could jumper wire ur comp. clutch to look an listen for the noise
    clickity clack & boom in the back , 99 Glant

Try taking belts off start it and see if it makes the noise. Probably a tensioner.

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    Try taking belts off start it and see if it makes the noise. Probably a tensioner.
    Thanks thats what i was leaning toward doing but figured id get some advice first before getting into it..its winter here still and nice days are few and far between lol.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    to take off that belt is a pain(gotta remove all the other accesory belt etc), my car had a squeel so i cut the ac belt off and the noise went away and now i am perfectly content with no AC for the passed 3 years.

the AC tensioner looks like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AC-BE...Q5fAccessories

its easily accessable. look at the timing cover from the driverside and its right back there towards the firewall. check the tension on the belt prior to messing with it and if the tension is good it could be the bearing in the ac or the bearing on the pulley, in my case, both made noise
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Haha I was actually debating on just doing that in the first place "cutting it" I turned the ac on once during test drive when i first bought the vehicle and have never used it since till like a day ago to test if it made the noise better or worse. Gonna check it out tomorrow since I didnt have time with family holiday stuff today but thanks for the info, location and pics make a big difference

had the same problem in mine, just cut the belt or take it off to see a difference..

I know this is a late reply but reading your off and on noise sound to me like the compresssor Clutch in the AC is going bad. The tension bearing can go back.. but the off and on you speak out sound almost certainly like the compressor clutch.

regards

6A12
    Life should be like a V6...........No one will know of you until they step on you TOES...