The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Yet another projector project!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 94

Yet another projector project!

So I got these a week back(Valeo bi-xenon out of a 2011 range rover) for under $50 w shipping

I was the one who started the EBay Projector Headlights thread but never actually bought them. I had just started a retrofit like airborn's and went that direction. Hit a deer a while back and destroyed those so I just got stock replacements. Those have been driving me nuts so here we are.

When I got them they were actually damaged in shipping( only the actual headlight inside broke the static connector tab so they were loos and rattled). They sent out 2 new headlights and said keep the old ones. So this was too sweet to not do. I cant not do it right?

So here we go. This is what should have been done the first time.

Just getting started and gonna take my time on this one. Will keep you updated on progress.

Drilling that out was actually really easy and the way to do it for sure.

Edit *loose*. Hate mistakes!

The fix will be easy for the static connection to the headlight housing.

Plans are for HID, custom shroud and blacked-out. Possibly some LED halo's but not sure. I know there are to schools of thought on halo's but I don't want to discuss that here. Hoping to keep this just as a build/tutorial for anyone interested.

I've always wanted to try and make my own headlights, make sure that you take lots of pictures!

Boy: Wanna have sex?

Girl: Wanna listen Deadmau5?

Boy: Wanna do both?

*30 mins later*

Cop: So you're saying she just exploded?

Subscribed, waiting on settlement $$ and FX-R projectors are going in mine.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    LR3's ?????? If so those are great projectors ! and wetmup2k3g Nice choice !

Definitely taking pictures! I just got one fabbed up in the housing. Just tweaking it right now

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    LR3's ?????? If so those are great projectors ! and wetmup2k3g Nice choice !
    From my understanding all the Range Rovers use the same projectors, at least all my research leads me to believe. I'm not sure what these were exactly salvaged from but I believe the Range Rover. They are D3S so I need to measure up a bulb and see if some of my H1 will work with a custom holder of some sort. Otherwise I need a new HID kit. If the output center is the same I see no reason why I could not use them.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Subscribed, waiting on settlement $$ and FX-R projectors are going in mine.
    Those are sweet but these will work great for me. $47 and change shipped was a great deal

It's definitely a fun project to do but not easy. My first set was ok and done way wrong. Hacked the housing up instead of just using the reflector to mount them. So aiming and aligning was a PITA. This should have a nice stock look and functionality!

Sorry upfront to anyone who watches this because with a wife and 2 boys projects like this can go slow, hopefully not but we shall see.......

I can't wait to see the finished lights i am wanting to do some myself in the future.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyprouty View Post
    From my understanding all the Range Rovers use the same projectors, at least all my research leads me to believe. I'm not sure what these were exactly salvaged from but I believe the Range Rover. They are D3S so I need to measure up a bulb and see if some of my H1 will work with a custom holder of some sort. Otherwise I need a new HID kit. If the output center is the same I see no reason why I could not use them.
    Where did you here that the globe alignment was the same ?

Also, I was thinking Land Rover LR3, I get Land Rover and Range Rover mixed up sometimes in terms of brand name.
    Last edited by johnygezony; 04-24-2011 at 11:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    Where did you here that the globe alignment was the same ?

Also, I was thinking Land Rover LR3, I get Land Rover and Range Rover mixed up sometimes in terms of brand name.
    I meant the output center on the bulbs not the projectors. Sorry. If the D3S and H1 have the same or similar length, and output "center" then I can use my H1 or else buy a new setup.

Heres what got done tonight:

The last shows the aluminum angle stock I used to mount the projectors to the housing.

Took a lot of time to get it lined up right before I could mark it to drill the mounting holes in the reflector. I've seen this done other ways like 4 bolts thru the holes on the projector using nylock nuts and drilled and bolted to the back. This just seemed easier and I am pretty sure it was.

I actually cut mounting slots in thsonar so I could center and level the projector proper.

Edit *mounting slots in the angle stock*

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyprouty View Post
    Sorry upfront to anyone who watches this because with a wife and 2 boys projects like this can go slow, hopefully not but we shall see.......
    I feel ya, I got a 1 yr old and a pregnant wife, and I'm the only one working. If not, my car would be so hooked up. Good progress so far.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Just a few more pictures of the progress.

The shrouds are turning into a PITA. Using plexiglas and it's just taking a lot of test and sand/cut then test fit again. So I'm hoping to have one done tonight and pictures posted. Then is satin black paint on everything including the trim ring, reflector etc. But test fit without lens to check level etc before reassembly of the housing.

So maybe one done tomorrow or the next day!

I have some UV/purple led that I'm planning on using as a halo as well. I took pictures but it just looks blue the my iPhone camera

That's so nice!!

So this is as far as I got tonight.
    Flat black on everything...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast