The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Yet another projector project!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 94
    So I tried my H1 HID in the projectors last night out of curiosity and they will not work. Light output was horrible. I moved the bulb around inside, turned it etc and found they just won't work. So now its a new D3S hid kit. Probably in 4300k or 5000k range. I am going for the most output so I know that's what I will do. I've had 6000k before and liked the look, but I like the light from 4300-5000k's. I personally would never go over 6000k, I'm not a fan of the blue output but to each his own I guess. I have 35w 3000k HID in the fogs and love the look and output.

Sorry about the H1's man. Still watching though, great progress.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

A few more pictures
    this last one shows the bezel I made from plexi.

About to start assembly today on the passenger headlight once paint dries.
    I have to fix the mount that was broke so I'm gonna work on that, I think I have a plan for that though.

This will have to do for now. Just flat 1/8" plexi. The other one I was trying just wasn't working so I may come back to it later. I may build a vacuum table and try that route later. an idea of what it will look like with the UV/purple LED's. I've tried taking pictures w/ them on but iPhone camera just shows blue. Will get some good ones later with the dslr.

Also ordered a D2S HID kit. I talked to a guy from hidplanet and he said that the optics of the d3s and d2s are the same from the base forward, so I ordered a kit off eBay and should be here wed.

This is a final product of the reflector part:

Not sure how happy I am with it. I will get it on the car before making a decision I guess but it will have to do for a while.

Looking good brah. I been on HIDPlanet, sometimes the vacuum forming can be a bastard but keep at it. It looks like lexan/plexiglas that's 0.04" thick or better is what's yielding the best results.

-Greg

Ok, so I have done my research and a vacuum table is super easy to build, dont know why i thought it would be hard. I am building one tonight and gonna try my hand at that. I have to wait for the HID kit to come before i can really test fit them on the car anyway, i have already and used a flashlight actually to shine thru and check level and so far its looking good.

I think I will be happier with a different shroud/bezel. This is ok but just not quite there. I have been researching alot on the vacuum forming and think I can make a good run at it.

I think you'll be happier with the vacuum forming plus i think it will look better, just my opinion though.

Yeah. I think it will be better. I have been building the table. Super easy. May have my first go at it tonight, we'll see.

Well vacuum forming is a little challenging. I think I will get it though. I have been using some .093 thick acrylic and that's just too thick I think. Its like an 1/8" thick. I'm getting some .040 which is like 1/6" and I think that will work better. The other is just to thick for me to form I think. I will post when I get it right.

HID kit showed up as well. It's a slim digital and wow it's so much smaller than my previous kit. I have been lucky with my eBay kits and have had no flicker or other issues, just my 2 cents.

Table works great though. Not much to look at but it seals good and works great. Will maybe take some pictures tonight

Please take pictures of your vacuum table dawg. Also what kind of vac do you have, shop vac 5.whatever horsepower is what seems to work best. I got my hands full right now, but I'm watching so any progress you make I'm taking note dude.

Good Luck, keep on pushin'!

-Greg

Hey thanks a lot. I am serious it's not much to look at. I used an old broken desk and some nice plywood I had sitting around for the top. It's a 5hp vac I'm using. I'm into it for $.47 for the fitting I used for the hose! Yes that's 47 cents.....

Some pics of my budget vacuum table:

That big hole in the center was cut out to allow the reflector to not be so high off the table.

That's the best table I've seen...So many others build it from scratch, it makes total sense to use an old table that might have got tossed (like the one I tossed a few months back, ugh) and use that. And the cutout for the projector makes sense, you don't have as much a stretch on the lexan if you can recess the projector. Good stuff brah!

-Greg

Sweet, i didn't realize they were that simple!

Quote Originally Posted by djhah View Post
    Sweet, i didn't realize they were that simple!
    Mine is just simple......it has yet to prove itself but i really think the acrylic i was using was just to thick. Also its not right next to my oven. Its in the garage thru 2 doors and about 30ft. So Im gonna move the table inside when i go to do it next time so its right out of the oven and on the table. Getting some 1/16" acrylic tonight, may try that later.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Nice dude !

i want....

i basically want that set up right there. that or the same style with 2 projectors in each housing, i havent decided yet. but that plexi idea is smart, i was trying to figure out how to do it and now i know

Got this in last night:

Best investment. Works great and plug n play. I'm a low voltage guy( Audio/Video, CCTV, Security etc) for a living so I'm constantly working with relays and control, and could have done this myself but for the $12 I payed its well worth it! Gonna buy on more and plug in for the hid in my fogs so they are powered on with the headlights and stay on with the high and lows. I don't care about having them on with just parking lights like some, so that will be fine with me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast