The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Yet another projector project!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 94
    Ok so the aftermarket replacement headlights i got are GARBAGE. Seriously, dont waste your time with them. They are falling apart left and right......finally fed up and ordered some used OEM factory headlights off ebay, for less than I paid for the aftermarket. Such a waste of time and money, but i guess there is some good parts to salvage. The housing is cheap, thin plastic, not the heavy reinforced of the the OEM. The reflector is some really cheap composite fiber, not sure what it is, but falls apart way to easy and the mounting bolts etc are flimsy and cheap. So all of this progress was just a dry run on how to do it on the real deal.

At least if the lenses are really bad on the used ones, I can hopefully use these lenses! Anyway, sorry to anyone following but there has been some real snags so the progress has been slow. Will get back to it when i get the new ones in later this week.

Hmm, something I was wondering about, because I was gonna get some, I have cheap ones on the car now but they look real nice, just like the factory ones, but I haven't tried to take them apart.
    Factory

Replacement

Hope I can get away with using the replacements.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

yeah the replacement flimsy ones arnt bad if you never take them apart. i can see them eventually starting to rattle or jiggle a little though from the cheaper construction. i dont know though i had to buy a passenger side replacement and its exactly like stock save for the color and its not factory. maybe its just what brand you get?

The ones I got were eagle something or other. They look great and fit great. Nice crystal clear lenses,etc, just cheap quality. The passenger reflector rattled out of the box, the sent a replacement and now the reflector rattles with every bump in the road. Super annoying. Moral if the story yet again: don't buy cheap. Get the good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the used OEM headlights showed and wow what a difference compared to the flimsy aftermarket. Lesson learned.......

Can finally get this going again and finish it soon hopefully!!!!!

I can't wait to see how it turns out i will be starting mine soon i just picked up some duel beam heads from pull yard yesterday, low beam projector with xenon hids, too bad the highs aren't projectors but ill still use them. I have been thinking all night about my plans on how to do them but i guess i won't know for sure untill i get started. Wish me luck, lol.

Have fun with your project! I have a few days off so I'm hoping to finish this weekend.

What did you get the donor headlights from?

[QUOTE=rowdyprouty;677619]Have fun with your project! I have a few days off so I'm hoping to finish this weekend.

What did you get the donor headlights from?

I pulled them out of an audi i don't remember what model but they have projector lows with hid xenon, and regular reflectors on highs at which ill put hids in after the build hopefully soon i can run back up there to get another set of 8g lights so i can start them.

Vacuum forming is a real pain! I have several failed attempts now. What I've learned: 1/16" (.060) is best, not too hot or you get bubbles and a good vacuum is a must. Gonna make some table modifications and try again tomorrow........

Do you use a heat gun or an oven, I'd think you can control the heat better with a gun. My $10 Harbor Freight one is a beast. Still waiting on $$ to come thru, and I'll be doing the same.

-Greg

Oven. It's nice even heat. 300deg is ideal I think. Heat gun cant go even enough but is good for spots. Biggest problems are vacuum. Getting the big boy from the shop tonight and reworking the table. Using pegboard and building a box under it with the vacuum fitting. I'm hoping it should do the trick.

Also for using the heat gun to fix spots etc, is that the acrylic goes thru stages when it heats, first it kinda deforms then straightens out then kinda turns flimsy and sags. so when you heat up a spot thats cooled it kinda jacks it up. This is something that is a one shot get it done kinda thing with the forming.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyprouty View Post
    Oven. It's nice even heat. 300deg is ideal I think. Heat gun cant go even enough but is good for spots. Biggest problems are vacuum. Getting the big boy from the shop tonight and reworking the table. Using pegboard and building a box under it with the vacuum fitting. I'm hoping it should do the trick.

Its funny that you mention peg board i was thinking about that when i build my vaccume table. I can't wait to get started on this project its going to be fun!

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=41930

Well I broke down and ordered E46 shrouds like what's used in this guys build. Like the look if his and I just need these done. They will be here Thursday and that means finished this weekend! I have both fab-ed up and test fit to the car to check level etc of the beams. Not to bad, got them pretty damn close the first shot. Damn shrouds though! I will revise these but for now I just need to be done. $22 shipped is not bad for the E46 type shrouds.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=41930

Well I broke down and ordered E46 shrouds like what's used in this guys build. Like the look if his and I just need these done. They will be here Thursday and that means finished this weekend! I have both fab-ed up and test fit to the car to check level etc of the beams. Not to bad, got them pretty damn close the first shot. Damn shrouds though! I will revise these but for now I just need to be done. $22 shipped is not bad for the E46 type shrouds.

That's me, I used the extended e46, i hope those were the ones you ordered

4g64T 5spd

Yeah those are what I got. Just easier. Yours turned out awesome. I really like the look. Mine are completely blacked out, I know there was some discussion of that on your thread. Im doing purple LED halo. Using LED strips and it looks awesome. The HID shining thru the holes with the the purple LED's may look good

Sounds good, OMEGA's came out really nice, keep us updated dude!

-Greg

Will do. I just don't have the time or resources to do a really good vacuum table right now. But for all watching, here's kinda what I'm thinking: 2x4 frame box with plywood bottom and pegboard top. Drill the inlet in side of 2x4 frame. Just make sure the box is not bigger than the frame you build to hold the acrylic or it won't seal.

Also OMEGA's did turn out awesome which is why I decided to go that route. Mine will be a little different. I think mine will be completely blacked out including the shrouds.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

Also OMEGA's did turn out awesome which is why I decided to go that route. Mine will be a little different. I think mine will be completely blacked out including the shrouds.

Thanks bro, I'm blacking out the trim soon lol but not the shrouds, I was going to black out the shroud but it looked so clean and shiny that decided not to, I need to reopen because I jb welded the shrouds to the projectors but one came loose so i will black out the trim and reinstall the amber reflector for the corners. Hope you can finish them soon.

4g64T 5spd

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast