The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: starting my collection...

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

starting my collection...

Alright so i'm starting to gather my turbo parts, and i'm probably going to be asking a lot of annoying questions in the next few months here. My goal is to run 7-8 psi, nothing more than that for now.

I have absolutely no idea what to do for fuel management yet, I need to do more research.

The setup I'm gonna go with would be:
    garrett t3/t4 (.60 trim)
    2g manifold & o2 sensor housing
    2g downpipe
    ebay MAS adapter w/filter
    FMIC w/universal piping kit
    2g oil pan, water lines, and oil lines.
    HKS bov.
    Walbro 220 lph
    ^^all of this is going to be coming from a parted-out '97 gst (except for the turbo which is new), for a ridiculously good deal.

For injectors, I've heard the wrx 440cc's don't need a resistor pack and will run just fine. Then I'll run some NGK spark plugs.

Any advice, suggestions, or help? I know all of this stuff is compatible, I just need to figure out what I'm going to do for engine management. Anyone that has had good experience with a beginner-level, easy-to-tune setup, please let me know. thanks for your time.

go with the evo 8 ecu its the best option and the wrx injector will work fine youll just need to scale them and do your latencys. as far as ease of tuning if you get a tactrix cable all the tuning info in the world is on the evom site.
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reiketsutsukigami View Post
    go with the evo 8 ecu its the best option and the wrx injector will work fine youll just need to scale them and do your latencys. as far as ease of tuning if you get a tactrix cable all the tuning info in the world is on the evom site.
    he has a 7g

7-8 psi, get a 14b or 16g. t3/t4 bolt style doesnt work on a dsm flanged mani but the 14b or 16g is the same flange and stock wastegate opens at 8 psi.(unless he has an adapter for said turbo) also running a walbro 255 pump will over run the stock FPR so you need a new one fuel lab or aeromotive works well. 2g down pipe, O2 housing and oil pan yes. front mount and piping yes, oil lines yes, but we cant use the water lines as we dont have the same water pipe and setup. just get a turbo timer or dont beat on it within a minute or 2 of shutting the car down.

for fuel run dsm 450s( dont forget the resistor pack), 255 and adjustable FPR and get an SAFC 1 or 2 doesnt matter and that will be fine. also a wideband for when you tune it, boost gauge etc

for plugs get BKR6E( one stop colder SOHC sized plugs)
    Last edited by Galanttuner10; 04-25-2011 at 09:12 PM
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    he has a 7g

7-8 psi, get a 14b or 16g. t3/t4 bolt style doesnt work on a dsm flanged mani but the 14b or 16g is the same flange and stock wastegate opens at 8 psi.(unless he has an adapter for said turbo) also running a walbro 255 pump will over run the stock FPR so you need a new one fuel lab or aeromotive works well. 2g down pipe, O2 housing and oil pan yes. front mount and piping yes, oil lines yes, but we cant use the water lines as we dont have the same water pipe and setup. just get a turbo timer or dont beat on it within a minute or 2 of shutting the car down.

for fuel run dsm 450s( dont forget the resistor pack), 255 and adjustable FPR and get an SAFC 1 or 2 doesnt matter and that will be fine. also a wideband for when you tune it, boost gauge etc

for plugs get BKR6E( one stop colder SOHC sized plugs)
    ^^ taking that into consideration please disregard my entire post (damn i feel stupid lol)
    4g64 dohc turbo 5-speed
    gt30r @20psi stock block,mbc
    2.5" tbe
    evo 8 ecu and maf
    large fmic w/ cx racing intercooler pipes
    wrx injectors @ 100psi fuel pressure

yeah ahah i was like dang, i wish i could run the evo 8, but i'm pretty sure i can't lol.

Sweet, thanks for the info. He has an aftermarket exhaust mani that will bolt up to the t3/t4, but i still need to see the turbo and figure out if I need an external wastegate or not for it.

you can run an evo 8 ecu but it is pointless for running 8 psi on a small turbo and single cam as you really need the dohc and more sensors and rewiring etc. stock ecu safc to tune some stock dsm 450s and 8 spi is fine. if its on the car and was running he will have all the parts you need. stock fuel pump is fine as well but if you do go with a 255 pump you need to upgrade the regulator(200-250 buck) as the stock one can handle the extra pressure.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

yeah it was all running, the car was just wrecked. but it's all still intact. And I think I'm going to go with a 190 lph pump as those can be handled by the stock fpr. less modification needed that way.

I've seen people have problems with safc 1's and 2's with the ecu leaning out, so I'll probably end up going with a safc 2 but I'll need help with the tuning I'm sure.

i dont know where you have seen them leaning out, our cars are set up to go to a 10.8 WOT which is rich as hell. only leaning out i can see you having is if you dont tune your cruising setting correctly

safc 1 and 2 are the same, 1 has buttons 2 has the little joystick. 190 is fine, you dont seem like you want to push the car anyway
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

okay. well i'll ask more questions about tuning when I get to it. hopefully it will be pretty straightforward.

No I don't really want to push it much. I've got 50,000 original miles on the motor I just put in and would like to just give it a little bit more balls. It's my daily driver and I'm not gonna be doing any 1/4 mile's or autocross, just normal everyday driving.

Alright, I have the opportunity to get a garrett t3/t4 (60 trim) with the manifold for 300 bucks. I've seen both, they're in excellent condition... should I go for it? or is it going to be too difficult trying to keep the sucker down at 8psi? I have an external wastegate... I just really don't want to encounter any boost creep.

with an external gate that is a quality gate, put in a 8 psi spring and you should be ok, never creeping more than 10-12 psi
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Alright, so i'm getting my gauges wired up today and i need some opinions. The WOT wideband tracking feature of the MAFT gen 2 looks quite appealing at the moment, even though it may be more expensive. I need to figure out a solution for my wideband sensor. So: should I be buying the whole ZT-2 kit, with the controller and datalogging stuff? or does the maft have a way to data log so I can see the wideband output that way? This is the part I'm still slightly sketchy on.

aem wideband all the way and for 8 psi an SAFC and some 450s is fine.
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR