The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CAI squealing

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

CAI squealing

My CAI squeals right aroun 2500 rpm... and I know it's normal for pretty much everybody with one in their 9g. But is there any way to stop it or possibly figure out what part of the tube is causing it? Obviously it's in the top half (short ram half) that connects to the throttle body because it was doing it when I had it hooked up only as a short ram also.

Granted, it's not effecting performance... but damn if it isn't annoying. It makes me go REAL easy on the throttle or give it some get up to get past it just so I don't hear it cuz it sounds like one of those POS civics throwing a belt.

There has to be a way around it I would think... any ideas?

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

are you sure its the intake cause intake usually whistle, if its squealing your hearing i would prob take a look at your belts man

good luck
    reu
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Its Reu View Post
    are you sure its the intake cause intake usually whistle, if its squealing your hearing i would prob take a look at your belts man

good luck
    reu
    Nah it's the intake... it's a whistle/squeal right at that particular point in rpm's. All belts are brand new. There was some posts I read a month ago or so where several other people said it's normal and that it squeals. Maybe it's on the Eclipse forum that I read it since I posted there also given that it's the same motor.

I'll search there in a moment and find the post.

Yeah here it is...

http://club4g.org/board/4g-eclipse-g...ound-like.html

It's apparently normal. I'm just wondering if it's maybe the filters Injen uses. Because if it did it as a short ram, and it's doing it as a CAI, other than the upper tube hooked up to the throttle body, the only thing in common is the filter. Can't be the hole for the resonator because it did it before when it was hooked up to the resonator and it still does it now that it's plugged by a freeze plug.

whered you get your injen intake and how much?
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Its Reu View Post
    whered you get your injen intake and how much?
    Umm.. I don't think that is going to cause the sound lol

I got it from carid.com but I don't remember the price because I found it cheaper somewhere else and carid beat it.

im getting that same hiss/ whistle, i just installed my injen intake today. did you ever figure out what is was? i think it might just be more air flowing over the throttle body causing it to whistle?

9g Baby!

Yeah that's actually caused by the MAF and it's honeycomb. It's a lot of air moving thru and it's now amplified by the intake and more open filter

No big desk and normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow stupid iPhone! No big DEAL not desk!!!!!!

But sorry I just realized this was a 9g and not 8g which is what I have. Our MAF are different, so disregard what I just said. Sorry!!!

At any rate it's caused by the airflow over/thru something in the intake path and is just noticeable and amplified by the intake and filter.

That's pretty much the jist of what I was getting at. I talked to alot of 4g Eclipse guys, and their engine bays are almost 100% identical to ours, and they were getting alot of the same sounds.

It's all narrowed down to that particular shape and the air and where it's coming from. Kind of like when you whistle. Blowing air out at the same rate but just angling your lips differently will cause a different tone.

I did notice when I left the skid plate on that side off the tone was different as well, from the different air flow underneath.

In the end, it doesn't effect performance and you just have a minor miniscule annoyance.

i wish this would go away =[

9g Baby!

Mattsubishi9g
    Are you sure it's not the whistle from when the MIVEC kicks in and sucks in more air? Mine does it too but I like it. And I've heard Honda owners with the v-tech which is similar to the our MIVEC who have the same sound with theirs.

I dont have the MIVEC but never had any problem with my injen intake as SRI . I did use amsoil air filter .

Its just normal from the increased airflow. nothing to worry about.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile