The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: exhaust manifold questions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 48

exhaust manifold questions

Alright so as a few of you may know I got a motor swap a week or two ago I resolved all the issues I noticed but i also think I have an exhaust leak in the manifold(headers) I have stock headers....but when I try to tighten or loosen the bolts on the headers they don't budge at all
    I also am thinking of taking them off to install actual headers but the bolts.won't budge...any tips? I don't have a torque wrench just a regular socket wrench and the socket keeps getting angled and stuck -___-

Help

did you put the old gasket on? or did you put a new one on?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

My mechanic did the swap not me so I'm not sure Id assume so cause my dad told him to do everything right and he is a trusted family mechanic.....Idk if I could take it off and check the gasket? But I can't even get it off

They should just be nuts assuming it i still the stock I4. It seems like they should have been off while he was installing the engine. I don't think you would be able to shear a stud off by trying too hard.

Yea they are just nuts and i didn't shear anything its just being a pain in the Ass to unbolt(which I can't) Idk ill try again tomorrow. Maybe some tips on easier unbolting....oh and what if the bolts aren't torqued to specs.

What do you guys think of open headers? XD

well I'm pretty sure they are 12mm and then the two end ones are 14mm. I only remember one trickey one, which is the underside, left most 12mm nut, but all of them where hard to take off if they be torqued down right. I have had an exhaust leak before because I took it of, and installed it, put what I didn't realize is I had some small tiny rocks that where chilling on top of the gasket itself, and when I install it, the rocks somehow ending in between the gasket and the head surface, so I would check for that. But your going to have to get those bolts off, try a 1/2 inch ratchet on the ones you can get access to, and try a wrench with a cheater on the end of it, to aid in more leverage

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    well I'm pretty sure they are 12mm and then the two end ones are 14mm. I only remember one trickey one, which is the underside, left most 12mm nut, but all of them where hard to take off if they be torqued down right. I have had an exhaust leak before because I took it of, and installed it, put what I didn't realize is I had some small tiny rocks that where chilling on top of the gasket itself, and when I install it, the rocks somehow ending in between the gasket and the head surface, so I would check for that. But your going to have to get those bolts off, try a 1/2 inch ratchet on the ones you can get access to, and try a wrench with a cheater on the end of it, to aid in more leverage
    Alright awesome ill try tomorrow thanks...what if I don't torque it correctly back to specs?

I have never torque them down cuz I can't go a month without talking the manifold off lol, I snug them up a bit, but if you need the torque specs I can get them for ya. Just make the surfaces carbon and dirt free when you reinstall it.

I forgot to toque mine down after rebuilding the head, it will just be incredably loud with lots of tapping noises like your car has no oil. It is pretty noticeable.

I have never torque them down cuz I can't go a month without talking the manifold off lol, I snug them up a bit, but if you need the torque specs I can get them for ya. Just make the surfaces carbon and dirt free when you reinstall it.
    So why do you take them off all the time? XD and how do you not get loud noise and tapping as gnaunited said?

Quote Originally Posted by gnaunited View Post
    I forgot to toque mine down after rebuilding the head, it will just be incredably loud with lots of tapping noises like your car has no oil. It is pretty noticeable.
    Alrighty thanks ill make sure I torque it down then

So I tried unbolting it again and it just wouldn't budge at all it started skipping and shearing

spray some pb blaster on it and let it soak for a while... any penetrating oil would work like wd-40. that what i had to do to get mine off... just a thought

oh and put some MUSCLE in it lol
    2002 5spd swapped
    under construction.....

Quote Originally Posted by NewGalantKid View Post
    So why do you take them off all the time? XD and how do you not get loud noise and tapping as gnaunited said?

Alrighty thanks ill make sure I torque it down then
    I'm working on something :) and Idk, I just install it and have never really had any major problems, just one leak once

Quote Originally Posted by NewGalantKid View Post
    So I tried unbolting it again and it just wouldn't budge at all it started skipping and shearing
    maybe try heating it with a torch also?

I'm working on something :) and Idk, I just install it and have never really had any major problems, just one leak once

maybe try heating it with a torch also?
    Oh lol alright what about driving the car so it gets hot and then trying? XDDDD ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by dGALANTc View Post
    spray some pb blaster on it and let it soak for a while... any penetrating oil would work like wd-40. that what i had to do to get mine off... just a thought

oh and put some MUSCLE in it lol
    Lol I did use muscle it just ends up skipping and shearing...

yeah you can drive it and try that, guess I didn't think of the obvious... lol, what you meaning skipping and shearing? You didn't round off the nuts did you?

Not yet lol like if I start trying to turn it really hard it just kind of skips as if it was a stripped bolt but its not just really tight?

does it turn? maybe he really tightened those down... try loosening them, BUT watch the nut and make sure it doesn't round out, and make sure the nut is spinning, not the stud

It doesn't turn at all and I'm confused what do you mean the nut not the stud.....sorry for dumb question

The bolt should be realy easy to take off, try using lockedkey 12mm and another or 14mm on the end, use the closed end on the bolt, check if the nut under is pinned down and wont spin with. Remember you don't need muscle if you have a longer shaft.

Well I used those two and it doesn't turn...I don't have a longer shaft lol so Idk -__-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast