The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Money Pit!

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Showing results 501 to 520 of 710
    Looks like a hell of a good time! Were you racing other cars in your class for first place or was it more of a time attack event?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

No racing or time trials I dont have a license for either one, just regular track days. One day though

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    No racing or time trials I dont have a license for either one, just regular track days. One day though
    Gotcha, that would be a lot of fun!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

So its been almost two months and I haven't got my tranny back but in the meantime I got the trans pump mounted and wired just gotta order the fittings and hose to finish it but with out the trans I cant fit the hoses so no rush on ordering. I finished the brake ducts also and made a new throttle pedal cover to help with my heel/toe.

Here is a few pics of mocking up and finalizing the pump and cooler locations...

Ziptied in for now

Making room for the cooler

Mounted

Plenty of space in between radiator and coolers

Now for the pump, using cardboard template to place and fab up a mount

The actual mount was pretty easy to make, I thought I would have bend up some sheet metal but I made it out of aluminum.

Here it is done, clears tire fine.

There wasn't much to the brake ducts after I finished off the covers for the foglights, I was gonna originally mount the hose ends to the foglight covers with a fancy hose disconnect in between for when pull the bumper cover off when I load and unload the car off the trailer but I changed my mind. I always think to myself something that Galantman said a while ago, "keep it simple stupid" so I did. I just ziptied the hose ends to the crash beam for two reasons, its easier and if I ever have an off track excursion and the bumper cover gets torn off it will be one less thing to fix.

Don't need the fog light mounts anymore

Done

Lastly I did an event at Summit Point in West Virginia a few weeks ago, I rented a spec e30 again from the same guy as last time and had a blast. You know the more and more I drive that car makes me wanna get a comp license and go have fun but the only thing that is stopping me is the Galant. I know it will be impossible to sell my car but its starting to cross my mind. Don't get me wrong I love it but the whole spec e30 thing looks like so much fun. Oh and I finally got the hang of the heel/toe technique.

Last edited by xd_01; 06-24-2015 at 03:49 PM

Black cooler is for the oil. Grey for the tranny and the very front one is power steering??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

correct on the cooler arrangement.

I also wanted to throw in a pic of the throttle pedal cover. Its not pretty but hopefuly it does the trick.

Its been a while and the car still hasn't left the jack stands, its been almost 4 1/2 months and really I miss just rolling it out of the garage. I got the trans back in July and installed it the same week, it wouldn't be ready for the July event so I rented a car again. NASA decided to cancel the August event which really sucks for me but I figured I would use the time off to have the dampners rebuilt.

Unfortunately nobody makes track-only coilovers for the 8g and even the street versions out now aren't that great so I figured I would email JIC (my current suspension) and see if they could rebuild what I have even though they've been out of production for years. Lucky enough they where able to so I shipped them out and they were rebuilt the day they received them and shipped out that day,, that's awesome service. They were also re-valved for stiffer spring rates so I can start experimenting with those.

Everything layed out with new Hyperco coils ready for assembly

Where the dampner was dripping oil before I sent them out

Heres both oil coolers plumbed out along with the trans pump, I replaced the engine cooler SS braided lines with nylon braided hose. Much lighter and more flexible.

I have another problem though my coolant pipe is leaking at the bracket weld again, maybe to much vibration so Ill have to put a some sort of isolator on the mount its a pain in the ass though cause I have to get someone to weld a AN fitting on the new one. Once that's done Ill check the alignment then it should be ready.

So organized and so proper! Hopefully those new coils work for u.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Heads up for you/anyone else who needs coilovers rebuilt, next time contact a shop like FEAL, they'll rebuild even cheap crap like Megans to your valving needs and bring them up to a much better standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    Heads up for you/anyone else who needs coilovers rebuilt, next time contact a shop like FEAL, they'll rebuild even cheap crap like Megans to your valving needs and bring them up to a much better standard.
    Good to know i will search. But if u have a link..

Nevermindwas easy to find. Thx

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Is Jon still running the rebuild services in Cali? I've been meaning to contact him to work with me on my set up, but I have been busy with other things at the moment.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Love the piston size on those jic coilovers, makes me want to redo my suspension. Those springs should make for a nice improvement, what rates did you go for?

Rates are 10k front 7k rear, I just increase the current rates by 2k, and the new valving still allows room for (+/-). Im anxious to start experimenting.

Yea Jon was my contact and he was very quick with emails, I wasn't expecting that and I was a little leery at first since their website is kinda out of date and hard to navigate but his service was unbeatable.

- - - Updated - - -

Rates are 10k front 7k rear, I just increase the current rates by 2k, and the new valving still allows room for (+/-). Im anxious to start experimenting.

Yea Jon was my contact and he was very quick with emails, I wasn't expecting that and I was a little leery at first since their website is kinda out of date and hard to navigate but his service was unbeatable.

- - - Updated - - -

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Sweet! You might think about going stiffer in the rear in relation to the front, I'm at 9k front and 8k rear. You have the ST rear bar correct? Do you run it on the stiffer setting?
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

No I have an RMDSM that isnt adjustable.

I ordered a set of swift Springs to replace my current ones. For a daily I am having my life with the Megan racing coilovers. Initially switched to a 7kg from 10kg and their spring was a bit better of an upgrade but after a year I'm done and ready to set the car on fire. Today I ordered 7kg swift for the front. If they deliver what I expect then I'm ordering a set for the rear too. I remember seeing your post about getting the hypercoil but I decided to give the swift a try.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

^The Swifts are awesome springs, I had a set initially for my Megans. Assuming you got the 65mm id, did you find an adapter for them?

RMDSM = gold
    Last edited by gtx; 08-17-2015 at 07:40 PM

I looked at the Swift springs but the ID was 2mm bigger then JIC springs but the Hyperco was an exact match so I went with those.

I didn't like the fact that I had to choose either a 60mm or 65mm but seems that people order the 65mm to replace the 62mm without an issue.
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    ^The Swifts are awesome springs, I had a set initially for my Megans. Assuming you got the 65mm id, did you find an adapter for them?

RMDSM = gold
    Yes i got the 65mm. But what adapters are you talking about??
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast