The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dash Kit for Double Din: Metra or Scosche?

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Dash Kit for Double Din: Metra or Scosche?

I have a 2010 Galant and am purchasing the JVC KW-NT3HDT Double-Din Unit. I'm asking more for opinion for anyone who has installed a double-din unit and also maybe some photos. Did you go with Metra or Scosche? I'm mostly concerned about which would have better fitment and quality.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, new to this forum like you. I purchased a 2010 SE back in July and I installed that EXACT radio using a Metra dash unit.

I can have pictures but I can't promise to have them up tomorrow. As I said, I went with the Metra version and it fits beautiful. Does not pop out and looks fantastic. It's on sale right now on Amazon for $14.81.

Do you have the SE model? I had to get an Axxess adapter since I wanted to keep my factory amp. I hate the Axxess unit though. It was expensive, is incredibly cheap and it left a small "buzz' noise which I could not get to go away no matter what I tried. I did not want to re-wire stuff so I live with it. I can't hear when I have the radio at listening volume but since I know its there it bugs me.

Of course, if you have the ES model then your golden! That radio works great and looks real nice as well! I really wanted an Pioneer Avic unit but I NEED a detach face.

Thanks!...and I have an ES, so I won't need that adapter you mentioned it sounds like.

I guess my concern was how well it would fit flush in the Metra since the price is so much lower than the Scosche, or how much it would the head unit would poke out if it didn't fit flush. Also, how easy it to remove the detachable face, which as you mentioned, was pretty much the main reason I decided to go with the JVC. I also hear that the little LCD up to gives a weird "comm" error after installing an aftermarket head unit, but I guess I'll cross that bridge once I get to it.

Go with Metra. It works just as good. The only time you should spend more on a dash is if you want a special one like carbon fiber or aluminum or something. But you can always do that yourself on the Metra.

Effort and courage are not enough, without purpose and direction.

Ok, a little late but here are two pictures for you Mboyce. Metra housing is like a factory fit with zero squeaks.

Hey Galant9GSE, Does your factory Nav Screen Do anything anymore? or does it just stay blank? Thinking of Changing out mine but wasn't sure if it completely killed the functions of the screen or you just lost the navigation audio.

Quote Originally Posted by 03galantnga View Post
    Hey Galant9GSE, Does your factory Nav Screen Do anything anymore? or does it just stay blank? Thinking of Changing out mine but wasn't sure if it completely killed the functions of the screen or you just lost the navigation audio.
    Actually, I lost two things when I removed the factory radio. I lost the factory bluetooth. Not sure why but I have zero motivation to look into it. The JVC's Bluetooth works great. I also stream music from my iPhone 4 via Bluetooth and it's sounds great.

I also lost the an icon on the screen, don't remember at the moment what the icon is for. The icon was the second on the first row if that tells you anything.

Either than that, the navigation still works, voice included, as does everything else not tied into the radio like sat information. The factory navigation is still the one I mainly use if you can believe that. I haven't messed with the JVC one even though it should blow it out of the water.

If you plan on adding an aftermarket radio AND keep your factory amp like I did then you'll need an adapter since the amo needs a digital signal to turn on. I use the Axxess Mito-01 designed for the Mitsubishi eclipse but I have a slight buzz. I wired it according to the instructions but it's still there. Not a huge deal but I prefer if it were not there. I think the factory amp is perfectly matched to the factory speakers and won't over drive them. I can crank my radio to max and speakers don't strain. Won't win any sound competion contests but that's not what I'm about. The JVC unit improved the overall sound dramatically even though I really wanted a Pioneer Avic 7" unit.

I also installed a PAC unit to keep my steering wheel controls. The only thing retained was the "Skip" feature and the "volume" feature. I looked all over for help and even contacted PAC but that's just the way it is. Hope this helps. I have the extact same color as you. People love the rave red color.

Thanks for all the info man. Think the icon you lost is just the one for audio that displays the radio info. Yeah i love the color of mine but it gets swirl marks/ surface scratches really easy. Other than that I love it and the factory audio is pretty good I just hate the way the factory player looks more than anything.

i used the metra dash kit when i had my tv in, just make sure they secure your radio to something other than just the faceplate. when mine got broken into it was pretty easy for them to make off with the radio since all they had to do was pull on the faceplate
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

It's Reu- I'm not sure that's possible unless someone attaches a chain from the radio to the chassis. It's wierd the way a radio mounts on a 9g galant aftermarket face plate but it is what it is. Where I live, if someone wants my radio they are pretty much taking it even if they damage it in the process.

03galant- Yes, the factory grey face is real tacky. Unless you install the black one which means searching eBay or paint your currrent one. I'm thinking about installing a 10" screen or an iPad in place of the radio next year but I'm not too sure yet. I'm still trying to find some rims I like lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant9GSE View Post
    Ok, a little late but here are two pictures for you Mboyce. Metra housing is like a factory fit with zero squeaks.
    Thanks! It looks good. I'll probably install mine over the weekend, as I took your advice and ordered the Metra set. Got it in the mail yesterday.

most aftermarket radios have a bolt in the back of them and come with something to secure the radio to the car. i was just lazy when i put it the first one, but after it got stolen i secured my next one
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Its Reu View Post
    most aftermarket radios have a bolt in the back of them and come with something to secure the radio to the car. i was just lazy when i put it the first one, but after it got stolen i secured my next one
    I gotta say, ive installed many a radio in my day and I can't recall ever having an included item to secure the radio to the car. My last three high end radios have included no such thing. My friends usually use steel cable but ive always been lazy about it myself.

Mboyce-If you find something in your box then post it up as I'm curious since we own the same headunit. I don't recall anything in mine. I bought my radio in December.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant9GSE View Post
    I gotta say, ive installed many a radio in my day and I can't recall ever having an included item to secure the radio to the car. My last three high end radios have included no such thing. My friends usually use steel cable but ive always been lazy about it myself.

Mboyce-If you find something in your box then post it up as I'm curious since we own the same headunit. I don't recall anything in mine. I bought my radio in December.
    No, I didn't have anything either in the box that would be used to secure the radio, bolts or whatnot. Did you install the radio yourself? I ask, as I didn't' know what the locations and the colors of the wires were for the Vehicle Speed Sensor and the Reverse light. Everything else was a breeze and the unit works, but those to wires I have been unable to hookup or find out the location/colors of these wires. Thanks in advance if you, (or anyone else in this thread), knows.

im gonna take a picture of where it was on mine on my pioneer radio. it was sorta a long screw with a bolt in the middle of it looked sorta like ======[]======
    04 GTS 9G

FoR Sale:
    2004-2006 Fog Lights $50
    shoot me a pm

Its called a ground strap, most radio's come with them. It is usually with the owners manual.

rocgalant
    I have the Scosche and I am very disappointed in the quality of the plastic. Feels very cheap and I snapped a few clips easily (accidentally). I would not recommend Scosche's kit.

I also installed the axxess adapter to retain my rockford factory amp and I hear the buzz. It's a piece of s**. I am ordering noise isolaters tonight to see if it helps, did you ever figure out a solution to the buzzing?