The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A/T tranny Engine Brake?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    PMMA1997

A/T tranny Engine Brake?

How do I do this? Is this a good idea? Thanks.

Kain
    I'm a bit confused. Do you mean Engine braking, I.E. using the engine's drag on the transmission to slow the car? All you do is let off the gas. The transmission should downshift and slow the car. You can also manually downshift. Or are you talking about the part "transmission brake" that's a drag racing accessory, and keeps the car from rolling at the start. It's only useful for drag racing.

Faction
    doink doink doink!! downshift into lower gears using your shifter! like going from D to 3

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Punklant_03)</div><div class='quotemain'>doink doink doink!! downshift into lower gears using your shifter! like going from D to 3</div>

I cant believe some is actualy asking how to downshift. I feel my iq dropping as I reply lol

Uh...u press the lil button at the top of the shifter...hold it down and pull the stick back .

D to 3 you let the OD buton out
    3-2 you shift down to 2
    2-1- shift down to 1....aaaaa DUH

Why would u want to do this, id guess it wouldnt be to healthy on the trany or engine. Regular fake manual drive 1-2-D-OD i been doing often enogh since I got the car I put 20k on the car, and tranny has held up fine to the abuse.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    this has been brought up a few times and according to manybrew and a few others, it DOES NOT hurt your tranny OR engine, as it will not let you go from 80mph 4th gear to 1st and what not...
    7g for life!

PMMA1997
    Sorry for my ignorance guys But the word AUTOMATIC transmission got me a bit confused. I thought before that the tranny would automatically compensate if your driving down a steep hill or a very slippery road. Thanks for the inputs.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PMMA1997)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry for my ignorance guys But the word AUTOMATIC transmission got me a bit confused. I thought before that the tranny would automatically compensate if your driving down a steep hill or a very slippery road. Thanks for the inputs.</div>

Hey i was just jokin around! We were all newbie's once
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon