The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Megan Racing Street or KSport Coilovers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

Icon5 Megan Racing Street or KSport Coilovers

Looking on saving up and possibly get Megan or KSport coilovers by the end of the year for my ride (02 Galant-ES). I've seen members with both setups. I was just curious, is one better than the other or equally the same.

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    I have K Sports with about 5k miles on them, so far they are amazing. Install was easy and they look good! They adjust easy too!

If you don't intend to track the car, either option will be quite adequate.

In my oppinion AND experience, K-Sport is mostly designed for track use so they get blown quite easyli compared to KW, Tein, KYB and so on when driven on normal road. On a normal road they have to work even more than on a track. They work great the first miles but after that cheap coilovers is getting worn out quite fast. More and more member of the Mitsu Club Noway who had an group buy on K-Sport coilovers has blown shocks now. Spare parts are cheap and its easy to fix but then again it would be better if it lasted longer. Im gonna fix my K-Sport set up and sell it to a friend who has a track day car and im gonna get myself street designed coilovers from Tein.

Megan, K-Sport and D2 are the same thing but built or assembled in different factories

^D2 and K-Sport are about the same from wha I've seen, but Megans are a little bit different. For the USDM 8G, the megans have steel front lower brackets, and the design how they mount your swaybar is different too. They are the same in that they are all cheap coilovers made overseas, and share the same principal design. The Tein Superstreets are really an oldschool design, and a thing of the past imho. For you, if you can use the Tein Mono Flex set from a 2G, that would be my first choice, but we do not have that option for our USDM 8G.

Given the selection we have for our cars it's all good tho, and while you could put together a nice suspension, who on here is willing to spend 3K on a properly valved KW setup with the proper springs and camber plates?
    I'm only going to speak for the Megans since that's what I have. The shocks are not the best by any means, but I knew exactly what I'm getting into when I bought them, and what am I going to do about it once they will blow. Getting better quality springs for them was also an easy improvement. The small parts (spring seats, camber plates etc) are nice. The design of the front lower bracket is a tossup, but it's steel, so if you want something more sturdy a welder will fix that. They will be perfectly fine for the average user on the street. The customer service is less then satisfying, and the instructions are written in engrish if that matters at all.

All together either the K-Sport or Megan will do the same: offer some street fun for a good price. Just don't expect them to last forever, or offer the same comfort as some higher priced coilovers. Also, they just don't have the RnD going into them that would be really needed.
    Last edited by gtx; 05-05-2011 at 10:27 AM

I have BC, right now i have a clunking issue in the front, not sure if my brand new moog endlink cam loos or took a dump on me. I will put her up in the air shortly but i love them besides this damn clunking!!

I had Ksports... They lasted a whilee.. Nice feel and took turns really well

IMMORTALIZED CUSTOMS
    Sid Mundo Production

Stay away with megan coilovers if you don't want to deal with the stabilizer link issue unless you have adjustable stabilizer. Megan coilovers are nice but the only problem is how they design the mounting point for the stabilizer link they are little bit off. I have megans right now and they are nice except the stabilizer link, next time I'm gonna buy a set of coilovers I will get Ksport or D2.

TURBO= in the making.......

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    ^D2 and K-Sport are about the same from wha I've seen, but Megans are a little bit different. For the USDM 8G, the megans have steel front lower brackets, and the design how they mount your swaybar is different too. They are the same in that they are all cheap coilovers made overseas, and share the same principal design. The Tein Superstreets are really an oldschool design, and a thing of the past imho. For you, if you can use the Tein Mono Flex set from a 2G, that would be my first choice, but we do not have that option for our USDM 8G.

Given the selection we have for our cars it's all good tho, and while you could put together a nice suspension, who on here is willing to spend 3K on a properly valved KW setup with the proper springs and camber plates?
    I'm only going to speak for the Megans since that's what I have. The shocks are not the best by any means, but I knew exactly what I'm getting into when I bought them, and what am I going to do about it once they will blow. Getting better quality springs for them was also an easy improvement. The small parts (spring seats, camber plates etc) are nice. The design of the front lower bracket is a tossup, but it's steel, so if you want something more sturdy a welder will fix that. They will be perfectly fine for the average user on the street. The customer service is less then satisfying, and the instructions are written in engrish if that matters at all.

All together either the K-Sport or Megan will do the same: offer some street fun for a good price. Just don't expect them to last forever, or offer the same comfort as some higher priced coilovers. Also, they just don't have the RnD going into them that would be really needed.
    I keep forgetting that the USDM G has a diffrent setup in the front. They migh be outdated. The sets we have avaiable for our EU Gs and JDM Gs have the same design as the rest of the like KWs, KYB and so on. Only diffrence is the quality and how it rides. And with the EDFC unit hooked up u got an awsome suspension unit :D

Quote Originally Posted by zobgel View Post
    Stay away with megan coilovers if you don't want to deal with the stabilizer link issue unless you have adjustable stabilizer. Megan coilovers are nice but the only problem is how they design the mounting point for the stabilizer link they are little bit off. I have megans right now and they are nice except the stabilizer link, next time I'm gonna buy a set of coilovers I will get Ksport or D2.
    That issie had been fixed a long time ago, megans come with an updated lower brackets that have the tab welded on in the correct position, giving zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    I have BC, right now i have a clunking issue in the front, not sure if my brand new moog endlink cam loos or took a dump on me. I will put her up in the air shortly but i love them besides this damn clunking!!
    BC's are pretty much the same setup as the Megans. Make sure you tighten down the 17mm nut on the front ones EXTREMELY well, bc if those are loose they will cause clunking.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiZnitH View Post
    I keep forgetting that the USDM G has a diffrent setup in the front. They migh be outdated. The sets we have avaiable for our EU Gs and JDM Gs have the same design as the rest of the like KWs, KYB and so on. Only diffrence is the quality and how it rides. And with the EDFC unit hooked up u got an awsome suspension unit :D
    Yepp, once again JDM wins over USDM :D It's not all bad tho, we do have a very similar setup to that of the EVO at least. The EDFC is nice, but the Superstreets will not allow you to set the preload independently, that's why it wouldn't be my first choice. Now the Mono Flex with the EDFC would be sweet for sure.

That issie had been fixed a long time ago, megans come with an updated lower brackets that have the tab welded on in the correct position, giving zero issues
    Good to hear that. I think I will just call them and buy the lower bracket instead of buying a new set. thanks for the info.

TURBO= in the making.......

Cool!! Thanks for all the info. I also thought about doing the KYB and TEIN springs setup as well (but coilovers is still an option cause I do like how I can adjust my ride). I basically just want to lower my ride in the future (hate the front wheel gap). I've noticed some members with the KYB/Tein setup and other members with adjustable Coilovers. My car is just a daily driver and just want it to look good. Thanks everyone for the input....

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    I've got KYB AGX's & Teins. Great setup for a mild drop, adjustable ride stiffness, and daily driving.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Ivory, that sound like a cool setup. I do like TEINS (heard nice things about them). I noticed that few members have the KYB AGX setup as well. I look on EBAY and found some, saying they fit the Mitsubishi 00 - 05, but on the Eclipse. Will they fit on Galants as well? The parts # for the front is KYB AGX #734019 and the rear KYB AGX #741020. Compared to the KYB GR-2, they look the same, different color. The KYB AGX look reddish and are of course adjustable. If they will fit my ride, I might try that setup as well since my vehicle is also daily driven. Thanks.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgraves2005 View Post
    Ivory, that sound like a cool setup. I do like TEINS (heard nice things about them). I noticed that few members have the KYB AGX setup as well. I look on EBAY and found some, saying they fit the Mitsubishi 00 - 05, but on the Eclipse. Will they fit on Galants as well? The parts # for the front is KYB AGX #734019 and the rear KYB AGX #741020. Compared to the KYB GR-2, they look the same, different color. The KYB AGX look reddish and are of course adjustable. If they will fit my ride, I might try that setup as well since my vehicle is also daily driven. Thanks.
    2000-05 Eclipse's were built on the same platform as the Galant's, so yes they will fit. A number of parts from the Eclipse's fit on our cars, i.e. Engine parts, suspension, exhaust, & seats. There's more interest in Eclipse's than Galant's so most parts you will find will be listed under the Eclipse. And yes, the AGX's are red and the GR-2's are silver. Teins/AGX's will give you a two finger gap (space between the tire and fender) in the rear and 3 finger gap up front. Teins/GR-2's will give you two finger gap all around, but lack the adjustability & GR-2's are not recommended with lowering springs. They will actually Void the warranty also...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Thanks IVORY... Then, the TEINS/AGX's is what I will go for. Question, since the AGX's are adjustable. How does that work meaning, can the settings be adjusted on those struts? Like you said, once mounted (when I get the setup in the future) the drop is reasonable for me compared to what I have now (stock struts and springs with that huge gap). I like the low, sleek look. I dont have to be dropped to the ground, but just look good and drive smooth. Thanks Ivory. I will work on getting the AGX's all around and then save up and get the springs. Thanks for the tip on the GR-2 and about the Eclipse part info. Did not know that. I guess most members have the Teins/AGX's setup. Also, did you say Engine from an Eclipse? Man, might have to look into to that as well...hmmmm. I have to say, Ive learned alot from this site....

I would go with D2 coilovers. Mainly because this is what I have installed on my G. The warranty period is 3 years, compared to the 1 year warranty with Megan & Ksport.

The AGX and Tein S-Tech setup is definitely a lot more street friendly than your average under 1K coilover. I had that setup for years, and it was great. The AGX's you can adjust the stiffness on top, which most people probably will not mess with too often in the back bc of the rear seat, and bc of that probably keep the fronts on 2 or 3 as that's a nice inbetween for dding. The shock will do their job nicely, and you are right about skipping the gr2's. The springs will be soft enough for the street but almost the highest springrate you can get in a shock/spring combo. For anyone tracking, I'd say the rear springs will be still too soft.

The AGX and Tein S-Tech setup is definitely a lot more street friendly than your average under 1K coilover. I had that setup for years, and it was great. The AGX's you can adjust the stiffness on top, which most people probably will not mess with too often in the back bc of the rear seat, and bc of that probably keep the fronts on 2 or 3 as that's a nice inbetween for dding. The shock will do their job nicely, and you are right about skipping the gr2's. The springs will be soft enough for the street but almost the highest springrate you can get in a shock/spring combo. For anyone tracking, I'd say the rear springs will be still too soft.
    Cool, thanks for the info.

^ I agree. Before I switched over to my D2 coils, I was using the Tein + AGX Combo, very comfortable and a good looking drop. They are still laying around in my garage lol, Il probably switch back to them and sell my coil overs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast