The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OEM Radio works, but no sound

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

OEM Radio works, but no sound

My wife has a 2004 Galant GTS.

The radio has been having "issues" for the past year or so. Some times it doesnt work, turn the car off/on and then it works. The radio looks like it is working. Stations change, cd changer changes cds. However, no sound. Everything is OEM in the car. Since the sound comes out of the speakers sometimes and sometimes it doesnt, I have ruled out a capacitor. I would think if its blown, its blown. No worky at all, but her's works sometimes. The radio is at a point now where it hasnt worked for the past 4 days, so now I have to fix it.

my guesses are the following:
    Bad amp
    loose connection somewhere
    bad ground

Does anyone have any past experiences with similar issues, or any suggestions for what to try.

Thanks!

if it has a stock amp i would check to make sure the stock remote turn on for the amp is getting voltage!

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    if it has a stock amp i would check to make sure the stock remote turn on for the amp is getting voltage!
    How would I go about doing that?

Where/what is the stock remote turn on?

I would assume somewhere on the amp, and then use a multimeter to see if its getting voltage?

find out where the amp is (probably under the driver seat) and use a multi meters to see if the remote wire is getting 5v's when the ignition is on.

1996 galant s

Luckily, I found this on the forum....

"the stock amp; which is located on the passenger side to the right of the glove box almost touching the wheel well for anyone wondering where its at. "

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=33933

do you think I will know which wire is the "remote wire" when I look at the amp?

maybe.... lol if you are lucky there will be a black ground a red with stripe, and a different wire, just check the two colored wires for voltage if you have voltage there something else is wrong

1996 galant s

so the wire I am checking, is that voltage upstream or downstream from the amp?

in other words....which of the following can I safely assume?

a) There IS voltage in those wires so its NOT the amp
    b) There IS voltage in those wires so it hasnt ruled out the amp
    1) There is NOT voltage in those wires so it IS the amp
    2) There is NOT voltage in those wires so its NOT the amp

should be upstream, so to the amp

1996 galant s

This post is pretty old but I found it while searching for answers on why my stock stereo had no sound. On mine it was simply the volume/power knob. Simply pull the knob off and turn the bar, if that gets it working but still acting a little funny hit the area around volume control bar with electrical contact cleaner.