The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stuck in 3rd gear + check engine light + speedometer fail = Headache

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Stuck in 3rd gear + check engine light + speedometer fail = Headache

I have a 2002 Galant ES V6 automatic, basically stock. About 145k miles.

I reversed the car, stopped, then put the car in drive (D), hit the gas, and it wouldn't go like if it was in neutral (N). Put the shifter in (3), (2), and (L) and still nothing. I put the car in (R) again to get it out of the street and reverse it into another parking spot. Put it in park and shut off the car. I opened the hood and jiggled where the shifter cable is on top of the tranny and checked the fluid (it all seemed fine). I turned the car on and put it in (R) (it engaged like it was before), then I put it in (D) and the tranny engaged again, which was a great feeling, until the check engine light came on and the speedometer no longer worked. On my way home, I noticed the transmission was stuck in 3rd gear. So now the car is stuck in 3rd gear, check engine light on, and the speedometer failed.

Does all that failing at once narrow down the possibilities???

I will be checking the car on my day off tomorrow to make sure the fluids are good, to make sure nothing looks broken, and I will be checking what the engine codes are.

Any suggestions to what may have went wrong? and how to fix it? will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks for your help.

Sounds like you are in limp mode. Check to see if any of the connections on the tranny are loose first, and then go from there.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    -Andrew

Check your fuses. Like he said your in limp mode

Thanks guys...

I checked the connections and they look ok. Then I checked the fuses and they seem to be ok. The next thing I did was checked the engine code and it says P0705: transmission range sensor circuit malfunction. I've called around a bit and apparently its a dealer only part :(

I've looked around the internet and some people are saying the "transmission range sensor" is also called the "neutral safety switch" and also the "manual lever switch" and also the "PRNDL switch."

Is this accurate?? I've never heard the neutral safety switch called anything but the neutral safety switch...

Code Р0705 (code transmission 27 and 28) Open the service manual on the page. 23A-124 ..... 23A-149. A very detailed description of the problem and how to fix it. Good Luck.
    Turbo - it is a snail, but the bitch is very fast.

Auto Transmission Relay is bad. Happened to me on my 3G and 8G.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...smission+relay

Hey thank you so much guys!!!!

I noticed that when I put the car in reverse, the clear back up lights wouldn't turn on so I changed the fuse. Well to my surprise, everything worked fine again. I cant believe a stupid 7.5 amp mini fuse could set off such a serious fail-safe procedure like limp mode....

Oh well... I guess I rather it be a stupid fuse and not the transmission :)

have you tried checking on the transmission fluid?