The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: aftermarket O2 sensor not good?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

aftermarket O2 sensor not good?

Ok for those who have replaced there O2 sensors with the new aftermarket bosch sensor. have you noticed that the original O2 sensors have many holes in the sensor gaurd where as the new bosch one only has 3 or 4 slots in it?

Even after replacing the first and second O2 sensors on my car I only am getting on average 245 miles per a tank of gas. Where before the stock O2 went out. I was getting 300 easily per a tank. It is almost like the new O2 from bosch isn't even working, but I am not getting any engine lights and no error codes. Little help on this would be great. Should I contact bosch and see if they have any of their aftermarket O2s with the swiss cheese looking gaurd? Or just keep takin them back to autozone until they say enough is enough and find me one that works or give me a refund?

Here is what the stock O2 sensors look like. go to the first one on this page and enlarge to see what I mean.
    http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...en_sensor.html

And this is what Bosch new style O2 looks like that AutoZone sold to me.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0081&viewitem=

Do you see the difference at the tips of the sensors. The "protector cage" is totally different.
    And once I installed the new O2 from Bosch I noticed on a cold morning when leaving for work that my RPM's will stay about 500 rpm's higher then it did with the old one for about 8 to 10 miles longer. So for 8 to 10 miles going 70 mph Im doing 3500 rpm's with the Bosch O2 versus 3000 rpm's with the old O2 when it was working.
    Last edited by 01blackG; 05-15-2011 at 09:58 AM

Is there anyone who has had this issue.
    Im thinking of taking the Bosch O2 back and getting a replacement on there 1 yr warranty.

I replaced the original rear O2 sensor on my wifes Galant with the cheapest one I could find online at the time, which ended up being a universal style heated Denso one that I had to splice in. It's been almost 6 months and I've had no problems.

I need to know if anyone has used the new style Bosch O2 sensor with slots in the metal tip versus the O2 sensor for our cars that has many holes.

Quote Originally Posted by stonent View Post
    I replaced the original rear O2 sensor on my wifes Galant with the cheapest one I could find online at the time, which ended up being a universal style heated Denso one that I had to splice in. It's been almost 6 months and I've had no problems.
    Did the Denso one have many holes in the metal tip where the sensor is or did it have only 4 slots?

Look at the links above that I posted and the 2 differnt styles of O2 sensors avaliable for our cars. Like I mentioned the stock O2 had many holes and I would get 300+ per a tank. Then I got the replacement Bosch that only has 4 slots. And now during the cold months I am lucky to get 250 miles per a tank.

you will also notice, the bosch sensors do NOT fit in your regular 02 sensor sockets.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    Really? The two bosch ones I bought off of rock auto fit perfectly. :/

EVO 4G
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

I bought one from rockauto as well and no problems with install but it does throw a code.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    you will also notice, the bosch sensors do NOT fit in your regular 02 sensor sockets.
    Bosch supplies 2 different ones. One that fits perfectly to the socket and another that doesn't. You must have bought or was sold the one that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackG View Post
    Did the Denso one have many holes in the metal tip where the sensor is or did it have only 4 slots?
    Lots of holes. I still have the box and can give the part number in a sec.

Denso 234-4209

UPC Bar code:
    0-42511-14209-1

I don't think we paid more than about $30 for it.

Here's what comes in the box (aside from a wiring guide for about 20 types of cars)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by stonent; 05-21-2011 at 02:01 PM

Quote Originally Posted by stonent View Post
    Lots of holes. I still have the box and can give the part number in a sec.

Denso 234-4209

UPC Bar code:
    0-42511-14209-1

I don't think we paid more than about $30 for it.

Here's what comes in the box (aside from a wiring guide for about 20 types of cars)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Thats sweet! Im just not that much of a fan to have to cut wires. But if it will get me back my gas millage I will be happy.