The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Does a flooded engine require a dealer trip?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Does a flooded engine require a dealer trip?

Is there a way to remedy a flooded engine in the driveway or do have to visit the dealer?

The problem: Car still wont start. I know there is combustion cause there is a real faint sputter when the accelerator is fully depressed when cranking.

If its flooded then you should be able to let it sit for awhile then it will crank... but the problem is if it is flooded how did it get that way? Pull spark plugs and see what they look like if they are wet from gas clean them off. Spark plugs tell you a lot about how your engine runs that's were i would start...

Pulled them out this morning. Little wet but nothing super. They look brand new (cause I literally just replaced them). Actually what happened is the car ran fine and I replaced the spark plugs. When I put it all back together now it doesn't start. At this point I have redone the job three times so I know everything has been hooked up correctly. I thought it was a vacuum leak but I checked all those possibilities, got spark and fuel, and I know the starter is good cause I can hear it. The battery I replace when I did the plugs.

Yeah actually just let the car sit for a while and come back to it in a few hours. It should start then if it is even going to want to start.

Also make sure you check the gap on your plugs. An auto parts store should be able to tell you what the gap is for our cars spark plugs.

If you have it all wired up correctly then the gap is the next thing I would back check.

If all you did was change battery and plugs then it should be starting unless there is a conecter you forgot? I the car is turning over and you have spark and fuel the next thing would be air and compression? Those are the key elements to an internal combustion motor. Oh and like black g said check gaps they say they come gapped but its always good to check them, let me ask this... has the car ran since you changed them?
    Last edited by djhah; 05-19-2011 at 10:46 PM

did you replace the plugs only or you did the wires too?

is there a chance you pulled the wires off the distributor and didnt put them back in the correct order?

its much easier if you pull the plugs out and let the gas evaporate for some time.

How did you check for spark - did you foul the spark plug by grounding the threads and having somebody crank the car?
    Last edited by mko; 05-19-2011 at 11:32 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

I'd try pulling the plugs and take a cigarette lighter and burn the fuel off the plugs, let them sit for a few minutes to cool down, then pull the power off the injectors and crank it for a bit, hopefully it will start and burn the extra fuel and stall when the fuel runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by stonent View Post
    I'd try pulling the plugs and take a cigarette lighter and burn the fuel off the plugs, let them sit for a few minutes to cool down, then pull the power off the injectors and crank it for a bit, hopefully it will start and burn the extra fuel and stall when the fuel runs out.
    There maybe more issues if you have that much gas in the cyl.