The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I got crack!

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

I got crack!

I recently have gotten a nice long crack in the plastic portion of the dash. It started at the defrost vent and is running towards the area directly above the radio/middle hvac vents. I'm sure it will continue to the vinyl part then stop. Is there any way I can try to mend this? Or should I just find another part? I was thinking about using a plastic welder except that that stuff looks really bad when it cures. My other thought was to get a dash mat and just cover it up too. What are your thoughts or experience with this?
    2002 ES
    KYB Struts
    17" wheels
    K&N air filter

i just used a COVERLAY... it's a plastic overlay that is formed to fit perfectly to the top portion of the dash then you use the silicone adhesive included to attach it permanently to the dash... it looks good and much better than one of those "mats". it comes in different colors, i used black and painted my forward vents and airbag cover black to match so now i have a 2 tone dash:

If you're willing to do some serious labor, you can also go the cheap, difficult route:

Remove the dash completely from the car, detach the vents from the dash, and you'll just have the ABS plastic dash assembly. Lean it up against a wall, make sure everything's aligned, and put a river of plastic weld epoxy on the back of the crack. Hold it in place for a few minutes (try not to vomit, it smells AWFUL while it's drying), and it will set up pretty quickly.

That epoxy will not give, no matter what you do to the dash. Mine was pretty much in pieces, and that fixed it for me. The only drawback is that you can still see where the dash was cracked. The upside is that my dash doesn't rattle anymore.

There's a tutorial on dash removal on here, and you can PM me with any questions if you decide to go that route.

You can get the plastic epoxy at any auto parts store.
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

Where did you find that overlay?
    My car has the same crack problem but its over the speedo
    02 Galant GTZ stock
    00 S10 Bagged on 20's Suicide Doors 5 link and control arms, more to come!

Quote Originally Posted by kingscratchie View Post
    Where did you find that overlay?
    My car has the same crack problem but its over the speedo
    i got it from Coverlay Manufacturing, Inc.

http://www.coverlaymfg.com/store.php...-galant-24-903

I just got mine.. while I was driving to work today... i was on the free way when I heard and partially saw it.. go CRACK! I was like WTF??!?!?!?!

Be careful of Overlay, they rip you off with shipping. The price looks good until they add on their shipping and handling. Better to get it from ebay.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

I bought mine for $95 shipped on Ebay.

has anyone done one of these and orderd the grey 1 i just noticed today my crack has overnight ended up getting way larger and extermly noticible. i just wanna c if the color will b off at all if so im just gnna order the black nd copy reelaxs idea nd paint the airbag cover to match

I like the idea of a two tone dash... I hate those damn cracks!

Lemme know how it goes
    -Andrew

will do it didnt bug me when it was only like two inches nd only i knoticed it but i saw it today from 10 feet away lol nd its a good 6-7 inches stright up to the gauges

Damn I was hoping to score some crack...stupid misleading posts...

LOL, Jermy. That overlay looks nice, Reelax. I just got a dash mat from O'Reilly for like $35. I don't really like them either, but it's better than looking at that freakin crack.
    2002 ES
    KYB Struts
    17" wheels
    K&N air filter

LOL this post is misleading, I was like oh snap, gonna get some crack... lmao this made my night

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    Also while the dash is off it wouldn't hurt to insulate wrap the vent pipes to help keep this from happening again. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol