The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: amsoil lifter tick

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

amsoil lifter tick

im still having loud lifter tick noise on startup . alot of ppl on here said using amsoil will eliminate that problem but for me, its still there. im also using oem filter and its 5w30 weight. car only has 106k miles on it. so what can i do besides replacing them?

Do the lifter fix from the repair manual. Slowly rev the engine from idle to 3000 RPM over the course of 15 seconds (slowly ramp it up) and then sharply remove your foot and let it idle for 15 seconds then repeat. The manual says to this 10 to 30 times until it stops and when it stops, do it 5 more times.

If doing that doesn't resolve the problem, you're going to have to dig in.

Finding the bad lifter is easy...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now as to if you really need to replace them? Plug all the oil passages with newspaper before taking the rocker assembly off because the lifters will come out.

If you have enough room you can possibly wrap some masking tape around the rocker to hold the lifters in.

Any that come from a banged valve you can try taking a nail and pushing it inside the hole and pump it and squirt the oil out and soak them in some solvent (diesel fuel, maybe carb cleaner) and pump out the solvent and reinstall them.

The actual part is referred to as a Hydraulic Lash Adjuster and you can get them online for about 5 dollars each.
    Last edited by stonent; 06-01-2011 at 10:52 PM

davila825
    i have heard good results from seafoam. some people swear by it. unno just a suggestion